June 22, 2020
We Will See You Soon! – YMCA Calgary re-opening begins July 20th
Ongoing: Register for YMCA Summer Moments
July 6th: Detailed Re-opening information, FAQs and other details available
July 20th: Targeted Re-opening date for YMCA Calgary facilities
Dear YMCA Calgary Community,
We miss you! It has been hard being away from the people we care about who make the YMCA Community such a great one.
We are excited to share with you that we will be re-opening YMCA Calgary facilities beginning Monday July 20, 2020.
We truly appreciate your continuing patience. There is a lot happening right now to make sure we can begin our phased re-opening in that timeframe.
- Ensuring our facilities meet the highest standards of health and safety based on evolving guidance from relevant health authorities
- Finalizing an easy-to-use new online tool to allow our members and participants to engage with their membership, including placing holds, cancellations and other services
- Recalling and retraining staff and volunteers so they can support you and your family upon your return to our facilities
So, what’s next?
Members and participants will begin receiving detailed information on July 6th. This will include detailed FAQs and a virtual tour prior to opening to ensure you have all the information you need to feel welcome and comfortable on your first visit, and every visit thereafter.
Please note: Due to limited staff currently available, YMCA facility phones will not be answered until July 6. Thank you for your understanding.
Can I cancel or change my Membership at this time?
At this moment we have all memberships paused and no payments are being taken. We are not currently processing cancellations. That is because our next step is to create and provide you with a number of options you can consider in regards to your membership, including:
- A longer duration membership hold option
- A new approach to financial assistance to help individuals or families who need support
- A cancellation process that will be simple and efficient
We ask for your patience and understanding as we work on this protocol with the limited staff currently working at the YMCA before our anticipated re-opening. We will be back to you in the coming days with next steps on activating one of the options in advance of our re-opening.
What can I do in the meantime? Registration for YMCA Summer Moments is open!
Due to health guidance, YMCA Calgary has had to cancel all traditional summer day camps. But while we can’t engage your kids all day, every day in the way you might be used to, we’ve found a way to give them a single day or twice-a-week outdoor summer experience that will be safe, fun and memorable.
Offered July 6 to August 28th, we look forward to connecting with your kids because – even though they are not camps – they are YMCA Summer Moments!
YMCA Summer Moments Registration Information
ONLINE: This option is available to those with existing YMCA Online accounts. If you do not have an account or are unsure of your account details, please register by phone. Click here to register online.
BY PHONE: Anyone can register by phone. A member services representative can complete your registration over the phone. We have a designated Call Centre to efficiently process your registration. Our YMCA Summer Moments Registration Call Centre will be open: Monday to Friday 9:00 AM – 5:00 PM.
Please call 403-351-6673 to register by phone.
Payments accepted: VISA, MasterCard and AmEx (we cannot accept Visa-Debit)
All questions can be directed to firstname.lastname@example.org
Click here to register for YMCA Summer Moments
June 16, 2020
We are getting ready to re-open – but we need a bit more time…
Dear YMCA Calgary Community:
As you might have heard, the Premier of Alberta and Alberta’s Chief Medical Officer of Health have given indoor recreation and sports facilities, including YMCA Calgary, the green light to re-open as part of Phase 2 of Alberta’s Relaunch Strategy. Even though Phase 2 begins as early as June 12, and we are excited to welcome you all back, YMCA Calgary is not quite ready to open just yet.
This has been a challenging time for everyone, and we want to thank you for your patience and loyalty. We know the services and opportunities YMCA provides are of value to the community and many of you are ready to come back. The safety and wellbeing of everyone in our community – especially our most vulnerable neighbours – remains our top priority. We are in the process of putting protocols in place to ensure that once our buildings open, you feel informed and safe to return.
You can expect there will be some changes to our physical spaces and new-but-necessary procedures for you to follow to ensure our facilities meet the highest standards for safety and hygiene. What will remain the same is the relationships and support you value and expect from your YMCA.
We also know our YMCA community is made up of kind and caring people who know how important it is for kids, families and individuals to have a safe place to connect, belong and thrive. We know that the need for these opportunities has increased through this period of isolation, while at the same time, the financial situation of many in our community has worsened. As we look to re-opening our facilities to members, we know that the need for financial assistance is growing and the generosity of our members is needed and appreciated more than ever. Please consider making a donation to the YMCA at this time if you are able.
Click here to donate today
We are re-opening in a phased approach that minimizes the spread of COVID-19 and maintains a healthy and safe environment for all. Members will receive information, detailed FAQs and a virtual tour prior to opening to ensure you have all the information you need to feel welcomed and comfortable on your first visit, and every visit thereafter.
Stay tuned for more information on all YMCA opening plans and timelines in the coming days, including a schedule of outdoor opportunities to get you connecting even before the doors of our physical spaces open. In the meantime, the YMCA is just click away with a variety of resources and services to keep you feeling your best at https://virtualy.ymcacalgary.org/
Can I cancel or change my Membership at this time?
At this moment we have all memberships paused and no payments are being taken. We are not currently processing cancellations. That’s because our next step is to create and provide you with a number of options you can consider in regards to your membership including:
-A longer-duration membership hold option
-A new approach to financial assistance to help individuals or families who need support
-A cancellation process that will be simple and efficient
We ask for your patience and understanding as we work on this protocol with the limited staff currently working at the YMCA before our anticipated re-opening.
We will be back to you in the coming days with next steps on activating one of the available options.
We look forward to seeing you soon!
June 3, 2020
IMPORTANT UPDATE – YMCA Calgary Child Care Centres will begin re-opening on
June 8, 2020
Our current priority is to welcome back families who were registered with us prior to closure.
We are utilizing a measured approach and will be opening classrooms on a staggered schedule. This will allow us to prepare spaces and implement practices as per Alberta Health Services requirement to ensure the health and safety of children and staff.
We are unable to open up spaces to families on our wait list at this time or to add new families to existing waitlists.
We look forward to welcoming back our YMCA families soon.
May 15, 2020
IMPORTANT UPDATE – YMCA Calgary Day Camps, Camp Chief Hector YMCA, Summer Programming
Dear Camp Families:
Following confirmation from Alberta’s Chief Medical Officer of Health that limitations on group size and physical distancing restrictions will be in place for the summer months, and on advice of the Alberta Camping Association, YMCA Calgary has taken the unfortunate decision to cancel the majority of our traditional summer programming.
As in all circumstances during the pandemic, YMCA Calgary follows all requirements and protocols established by the Chief Medical Officer and other relevant agencies. We will continue to monitor the situation in Alberta closely, and are working to add some alternative programming in both the city and at Camp Chief Hector YMCA should the public health guidance allow. Our team is actively planning what this revised scenario could look like and we will be back to you as soon as possible.
In a couple of months full of tough decisions, this one feels particularly difficult. Camping, both within the city and in our mountain home for 90 years, is synonymous with the YMCA experience. However, we are being prudent and have taken the decision after a lot of research and discussion.
Here’s what’s next:
BRANCH & CAMP RIVEREDGE DAY CAMPS
All July and August 2020 day camps are cancelled at this time.
Registered Campers have two options:
1. Leave a credit on your YMCA account for priority day camp registration into Summer 2021. To obtain a camp credit complete this form online prior to end of day May 24.
2. Receive a full refund. Refunds will be processed automatically by June 30, 2020. No further action is required at this time to receive your refund.
CAMP CHIEF HECTOR YMCA
All July and August 2020 overnight and day camps for children under 16 are cancelled at this time.
Registered Campers have two options:
1. “Roll forward” registration to 2021. Your registration fee will be retained, and a place reserved for you in Summer 2021*. You will not need to register in the fall if you choose this option and your spot at Camp Chief Hector YMCA will be guaranteed for 2021. No further action is required at this time to “roll forward”.
2. Receive a full refund. Refunds will be processed by June 30, 2020. To receive a refund complete this form online prior to end of day May 24. Refunds will be processed and received by June 30, 2020. Note that your registration will not be “rolled forward”, and you will need to register for Summer 2021.
*Camp Chief Hector YMCA registrations that are rolled forward will be for the same session (date or week), the same speciality (ie. canoe / horse / arts / hike, where relevant) and in the appropriate age group (either the same as 2020, or the next age group up if applicable). Changes will be offered (where capacity allows) prior to 2021 Registration starting in December 2020. Any additional payments (for 2021 Camp fees) will be scheduled in late 2020.
Sac Dene and Rockies Backpacking extended trips will not occur in 2020 due to current travel restrictions. We will be in contact with these Campers directly and hope to accommodate some elements of the program in other ways.
Leadership 1 and LIT programs are not cancelled at this time but will be reviewed as the summer situation becomes clearer. We will be in contact with these Campers directly.
Camp Chief Hector YMCA’s 90th Anniversary celebrations planned for June 2020 will be postponed until a future date. Registered participants will be refunded in full.
Though our facilities and programs have temporarily closed, we are working hard to use our resources and expertise to support you and the community right now. One key focus being how we can safely offer summer programming to children, youth and families. To help us in doing this we are seeking donations right now to support these new programs and general operating costs.
As a member of our YMCA Community we need your help! If you are able, please support your YMCA with a donation. Every donation, big and small, will make a difference to ensure we return strong and ready to serve you. And right now, your donation will go further because of the generosity of the Sarjeant Family who will match up to $50,000 raised for summer programming.
Click here to donate today
Thank you for your support!
We will contact you with alternative options for summer programming in the coming weeks.
We appreciate your flexibility and understanding as we follow the guidelines set forth to keep Albertans safe and healthy. We can’t wait to have everyone back at camp.
May 1, 2020
May 1, 2020
Dear YMCA family member,
You have likely heard the Alberta Government has released “Opening Soon: Alberta’s Relaunch Strategy” the provincial plan to gradually reopen elements of Alberta’s economy and get Albertans back to some more regular activity.
Here at YMCA Calgary, we are excited and optimistic that Albertans are doing their part to put our province in a position to move through the announced phases carefully and for that, we say thank you.
So, what’s next for the Y?
We want you to know we have established principles by which we will make decisions in the coming days and weeks:
- People First. Our primary objective will be to ensure the health and safety of our staff, volunteers, and the members of our various communities. Our decisions will be informed by the best available evidence, through reputable sources.
- Do the right thing. Our decisions will be grounded in YMCA values & aligned with our charity’s purpose, mission & vision.
- Long-term Focused. Decisions will be made with the long-term health and sustainability of the organization in mind, with an eye to community impact, to ensure we continue to be around for generations to come.
Here’s what our plan looks like in the short term:
- First, we are awaiting more specific detail from the provincial government, our municipal partners and other relevant agencies on what opportunities and limitations the phases of this announced plan place on our reopening. As in all circumstances during the pandemic, YMCA Calgary follows all direction and protocols established by the Alberta’s Chief Medical Officer of Health and local agencies including Calgary Emergency Management Agency.
- We’re going to ask you what you want to see as the YMCA re-animates. What are you comfortable doing and not? What programs and services do you most value right now? Expect a survey soon to share your thoughts so we can best meet your expectations.
- Thank you for your patience. The situation remains very fluid with guidance changing weekly, even daily. We are going to need some time to do a lot of planning so our ‘Welcome Back’ is safe, efficient and gives you the quality experience you’ve come to expect from the YMCA. We’re asking for a bit more time so we can come back to you with better answers and options for you to make informed decisions about how you’d like to reengage with us. If you truly need to make a decision now, we ask you to get in touch with us and we can discuss your situation by emailing email@example.com
- Your YMCA will look and feel a bit different when you come back to us. That means necessary safeguards will be in place, some things will be available and some things will have to wait. But, there are some things that won’t change; we will be welcoming, quality-focused and nimble as we ensure you have meaningful experiences, particularly as we slowly heal as a community.
A note about summer programming:
We know you are eager to hear how day camps, Camp Chief Hector YMCA and other summer programming may proceed. We’ll touch base with you again by Friday May 15th, a date we previously announced we were working towards. We’re holding to that date so we can make plans based on the best information available.
As a charity, we are able to dream a little and plan a lot right now about ways to re-open, remobilize and reimagine our YMCA thanks to the generosity of donors from our YMCA Community. Even while we’ve been closed, many of you have chosen to Stay With Us. I invite you to consider that opportunity to invest in our organization in that way.
Thank you for your commitment to the YMCA. We promise to continue to be there for you, as you have been there for us. We can’t wait to see you soon.
Yours in wellness,
President and CEO