Legal and Complaints Policy
YMCA respects and is committed to protecting the confidentiality and security of Personal Information entrusted to YMCA, and ensuring that all Personal Information that YMCA holds is collected, used and disclosed in compliance with all applicable federal and provincial privacy laws, including Alberta’s Personal Information Protection Act (collectively, the “Privacy Legislation”).
YMCA'S Privacy Practices
YMCA is responsible for safeguarding Personal Information in its possession or control. YMCA will use appropriate means to provide a comparable level of protection when Personal Information is being processed by a third party.
(b) Identifying Purposes for Collection
YMCA will document the purposes for which Personal Information is collected, and will only collect Personal Information for the identified purposes.
YMCA will specify to the individual, orally, electronically or in writing, the identified purposes at or before the time Personal Information is collected. Upon request, persons collecting Personal Information will explain these identified purposes or refer the individual to the Chief Financial Officer (who also acts as the Privacy Officer for the YMCA) who will explain the purposes.
In accordance with Privacy Legislation, YMCA will identify and document any new purposes for which previously collected Personal Information may need to be used and disclosed, and obtain the consent of the individual where applicable.
(c) Obtaining Consent for Collection, Use or Disclosure
YMCA will seek consent, where required, to use and disclose Personal Information when it collects the information or in accordance with Privacy Legislation.
In obtaining consent, YMCA will ensure that an individual is advised of the identified purposes for which Personal Information will be used or disclosed. Purposes will be stated in a manner that can be reasonably understood.
Examples of when YMCA may collect, use and disclose Personal Information include but are not limited to:
- verify an individual's identity;
- carry out human resources functions such as training, administering employee contracts, evaluating employees, implementing employment-related actions and obligations and providing employment benefits and related benefits;
- administer compensation, bonus and benefit plans and other employment matters;
- process a donation, payment or invoice;
- provide a product or service that YMCA offers; or
- provide an individual with promotional/marketing materials as it relates to YMCA's business.
In determining the appropriate form of consent, YMCA will take into account the sensitivity of the Personal Information, the reasonable expectations of the individuals involved, and the requirements of Privacy Legislation.
(d) Limiting Collection of Personal information
YMCA will collect, use and disclose Personal Information in accordance with Privacy Legislation and will limit the amount and type of Personal Information collected to that which is necessary to fulfill identified purposes.
YMCA collects Personal Information primarily from its employee, volunteer and members, but YMCA may also collect Personal Information from other sources to meet the requirements of its business.
(e) Retention and Destruction
YMCA will keep Personal Information only as long as it remains necessary or relevant for the identified purposes or as required by law.
YMCA will maintain reasonable and systematic controls, schedules and practices for information and records retention and destruction which apply to Personal Information that is no longer necessary or relevant for the identified purposes or required by law to be retained. Such information will be destroyed, erased or made anonymous.
(f) Accuracy of Personal Information
YMCA will employ reasonable efforts to keep Personal Information relevant to its intended use, accurate, complete and current. YMCA relies on individuals to notify it if there is a change to their Personal Information.
YMCA will take reasonable steps to permit individuals to correct, amend or delete Personal Information that it demonstrated to be inaccurate or incomplete. These requests may be made in writing by contacting the Privacy Officer.
Those individuals who are party to any YMCA benefit plans or receive other benefits from YMCA shall ensure that their Personal Information, particularly information that deals with benefit entitlement or status, is kept current, and accurately reported.
YMCA will update Personal Information as and when necessary to fulfill the identified purposes or upon notification by the individual.
(g) Security Safeguards
YMCA will use reasonable commercial efforts to protect Personal Information against loss or theft, as well as unauthorized access, disclosure, use, modification or destruction, through reasonable security measures. The nature of the safeguards will vary depending on the sensitivity of information collected.
YMCA will take all reasonable steps in the disposal or destruction of Personal Information, to seek to prevent unauthorized parties from gaining access to the Personal Information, including shredding paper records and permanently deleting electronic records.
(h) Openness Concerning Policies and Practices
The information that YMCA makes available about its policies and practices will include:
- the Email address, of the person(s) who is accountable for YMCA's policies and practices regarding the management of Personal Information and to whom complaints or inquiries can be forwarded;
- the means of gaining access to Personal Information held by YMCA;
- a copy of information that explains YMCA's policies, standards or codes;
- the type of Personal Information made available to related organizations and the context and limitations of such Personal Information; and
- a description of the type of Personal Information held by YMCA, including a general account of its use.
(i) Individual Access to Personal information
Individuals have a right to access their own Personal Information that is in the custody or under the control of YMCA subject to some limited exceptions provided for in the applicable privacy laws. YMCA will grant individuals reasonable access to their Personal Information held by YMCA. YMCA will advise the individual in advance of any charges for retrieval, reproduction or delivery of the Personal Information requested.
YMCA may limit or deny access to Personal Information as permitted by applicable Privacy Legislation. YMCA will provide the reasons for denying access.
In order to safeguard Personal Information, an individual will be required to provide sufficient identification information to permit YMCA to authorize access to the Personal Information held regarding that individual. Any such identification information will be used only for this purpose.
Individuals can obtain information or seek access to their Personal Information by contacting the Privacy Officer.
(j) Challenging Compliance
YMCA will maintain procedures for addressing and responding to all inquiries or complaints from individuals about YMCA's handling of Personal Information.
YMCA will promptly correct or complete any Personal Information found to be inaccurate or incomplete. Any unresolved differences as to accuracy or completeness will be noted in the file in which the Personal Information is contained. Where appropriate, YMCA will notify third parties having access to the Personal Information in question about any amended information or the existence of any unresolved differences.
An individual that has concerns with YMCA's privacy practices should contact YMCA's Privacy Officer.
Cross-border Transfers of Personal Information
YMCA has centralized certain aspects of its data process and human resources administration in order to allow it to better manage its business. That centralization may result in the transfer of Personal Information from one country to another within the limits and subject to the requirements of the applicable laws. The countries where the information will be transferred may or may not have laws that seek to preserve privacy of the Personal Information. However, whenever Personal Information is transferred outside of the country, the Personal Information will be processed in accordance with the principals of this Policy and Privacy Legislation. .
Individuals may obtain written information regarding cross-border transfers by contacting YMCA's Privacy Officer.
- establishing procedures to receive and respond to inquiries and complaints regarding Personal Information;
- training staff and communicating with staff about YMCA's policies and practices; and
- developing employee and student communications to explain YMCA's policies and practices.
The contact information of the person currently designated as YMCA's Privacy Officer is Privacy@calgary.ymca.ca
YMCA Calgary encourages you to use this web site and information contained herein for your personal, non-commercial use.
1. Legal Disclaimers, Copyright and Trademarks
All material found in the pages of this web site is protected under the copyright laws of Canada and of other countries. Certain names, words, titles, phrases, logos, icons, graphics or designs in the pages of this web site may constitute trade names, trademarks or service marks of YMCA Calgary or its subsidiaries, or the use of which may have been licensed to them. The display of trademarks, trade names or service marks on pages at this web site does not imply that a license of any kind has been granted to anyone else. Any unauthorized downloading, re-transmission, republication or other copying or modification of material posted on this web site, including trade-marks, trade-names and service marks, may violate federal, common or civil law, trade-mark law and copyright law, and may result in legal action.
2. Disclaimer of Warranties
The information and material contained in this web site are believed to be accurate and complete at the time of their posting. Although YMCA Calgary attempts to ensure that all information and material remain current and accurate, YMCA Calgary does not warrant their accuracy, completeness and currency at all times. No warranty of any kind, implied, expressed or statutory, including but not limited to warranties as to non-infringement of intellectual property rights or third party rights, title, latent defects, uninterrupted service, merchantability, fitness for a particular purpose and freedom from computer viruses, is given in conjunction with the information, materials and software algorithms.
3. Exclusion of Liability
In no event will YMCA Calgary be liable for any damages, including without limitation, direct or indirect, special, incidental, moral or consequential damages, loss of profits, opportunities or information or for expenses arising in connection with this web site, with any software algorithms available thereon nor with any hyperlinked web site or for use thereof or inability to use by interruption, defect, delay in operation or transmission, computer virus or line or system failure, even if YMCA Calgary is advised of the possibility of such damages, losses or expenses. Software algorithms made available and hyperlinks to other Internet resources are at your own risk. The content, accuracy, opinions expressed, and other links provided by these software algorithms and resources are not investigated, verified, monitored, or endorsed by YMCA Calgary
4. Links to Third Party web sites
YMCA Calgary is not responsible for the content of any linked web site or any link contained in a linked web site. YMCA Calgary provides such links only as a convenience and the inclusion of any link does not imply endorsement, investigation or verification by YMCA Calgary of the linked web site or information contained therein.
5. Internet Email
The Internet is not yet a fully secure medium, and therefore confidentiality and privacy cannot be ensured. YMCA Calgary will not be liable for any damages resulting from the transmission of confidential or personal information.
Free Trials - Terms and Conditions
Each contest entrant (“Entrant”) agrees to be bound by the following contest guidelines (the “Contest Guidelines”):
- Each contest is governed by the contest rules (the “Short Rules”) located on the individual contest page (a “Contest Page”) and these Contest Guidelines.
- The Short Rules and Contest Guidelines may be amended at any time without prior notice to Entrants.
- A contest may be cancelled or removed from ymcacalgary.org at any time without prior notice to Entrants.
- Only Entrants who abide by the Short Rules and these Contest Guidelines are eligible to win a prize.
- Each contest is open to legal residents of Canada (unless specified in the Short Rules or otherwise herein), who have reached the age of majority in their province of residence.
- Contests are not open to residents of Québec.
- Contests are not open to employees of YMCA Calgary or members of their immediate families.
HOW TO PARTICIPATE
- NO PURCHASE IS NECESSARY to participate in a contest.
- Entrants are required to enter a contest in the manner indicated on a Contest Page.
- Entrants are selected by a random number generator (a “Winning Entrant”).
- Odds of winning depend on the number of valid entries received.
- Winning Entrants are notified within 24 hours of contest end date.
- Winning Entrants must reply to YMCA Calgary within 24 hours of being notified.
- A prize must be accepted as rewarded and may not be exchanged for cash or any other product or service.
- Prize pick-up will be required and will be the Winning Entrants' responsibility.
USE OF PERSONAL INFORMATION
- Entrants agree to the provision of their personal information (to the extent necessary) to a third party for the sole purpose of administering prize distribution.