YMCA Calgary Tutoring Table Program
About the YMCA Tutoring Table ProgramThe Tutoring Table Program, YMCA Calgary offers free tutoring services to vulnerable youth ages 14-21. As a part of the United Way’s All in for Youth initiative, the program aims to remove the financial barrier of private tutoring to assist students in passing their registered math courses. Students are selected to participate in the program if they have a financial need, academic need, and the motivation to attend weekly sessions.
Volunteer tutors serve as guides in students’ learning, assisting them with challenging math concepts and enhancing their confidence in problem-solving. Volunteers also act as positive role models and mentors, often providing students with career advice and personal experience and knowledge. Volunteers are provided with ongoing training, in both math curriculum and skills in positive youth guidance. We also offer science tutoring on a limited scale to help students with their registered high school science courses.
Each session provides snacks, homework support, and a safe and open space for youth to build confidence and enhance math skills. Volunteers are partnered with three students in an in-person setting and one to two students on online tutoring platforms. The tutors work with their group once per week during the scheduled sessions over the course of the semester.
- Starting the Fall 2021 semester, the tutoring table program is running at 10 in-person locations across the city and online via Zoom
- The program will run from Monday – Thursday. Students will be enrolled on one day a week for two hours for the entire semester
- All health and safety measures will be followed. Face masks will be optional for students; however, frequent hand sanitizing will be encouraged. Staff and volunteers will be wearing face masks during the sessions
- Fall 2021 semester deadline: September 17,2021
- Winter 2022 semester deadline: February 18, 2022
- Students must attend an “All In for Youth” high school and be registered in a math course for the semester
- Priority will be given to students with low math grades and financial challenges
How To ApplyFill out the application form for the Fall 2021 semester and email it to email@example.com
* Please note that spots are limited.
YMCA Calgary is seeking energetic and committed volunteer math and science tutors interested in helping high school youth in a group tutoring setting, as well as to build relationships and be a positive role model to program participants. Volunteer Commitment: Volunteers are asked to commit at least to one day (a minimum of 2 hours) each week.
How To ApplyPlease visit our Careers & Volunteer page for more details
Thank you for your interest in wanting to make a positive impact in your community!
If you have any questions please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org