Alternative Suspension is an out-of-school intervention program.
The program establishes bonds of trust and creates a support network for students who have been or are at risk of being suspended from school due to problematic behavior while also supporting a consistent and strong academic focus.
It aims to reduce future suspensions and disciplinary sanctions by offering participants an opportunity to turn their time away from school into a positive experience that encourages personal growth, the development of social skills, and autonomy.
Students may be referred for any of the following concerns:
- Absenteeism/lack of participation in classes
- Apathy and lack of motivation
- Issues related to substance misuse
- Disruptive and impulsive behavior
- Physical, verbal or psychological violence
- Theft or vandalism
- Academic struggles or needing an adult to guide them with time management and motivation
- Needing additional support to help with mental health needs
To learn more about the program, please contact us at one of the emails below.
- Schools administer student referrals to the program
- Participating youth must undergo an individual assessment. A youth worker will develop a personalized profile of participating individuals
- Morning sessions focus on academic achievement and afternoon sessions on thematic workshops to reduce identified risk factors
- Youth may also participate in recreational activities
- Intervention sessions last an average of five days
- After the program is complete, students reintegrate back into the school/community and the youth worker will follow up to determine the impact of the ASP on the student
- Youth workers provide regular communication with parents during the ASP
- Self-awareness of problematic behavior
- Increased self-esteem and respect
- Expanded network of social support
- Reduced associations with problematic peers
- Decreased aggressive, impulsive, disruptive, and antisocial behavior
- Positive academic aspirations and motivations
- Increased school achievement and graduation rate
Melcor YMCA at Crowfoot
4 - 6 p.m.
4 - 6 p.m.
4 - 6 p.m.
NW Youth Worker
Youth Engagement Manager
The Alternative Suspension Program wouldn't be possible without the generous support of our partners:
The United Way of Calgary & Area
Family & Community Support Services Canada (FCSS)