The month of June is National Indigenous History Month, a month to recognize and celebrate the history, culture, and diversity of the First Nations, Metis, and Inuit people of Canada. On June 21, the summer solstice, Canada celebrates Indigenous Peoples Day with hundreds of events and festivities to recognize the many achievements of Indigenous People in Canada.
At YMCA Calgary we are proud to work with Indigenous children, youth, and families through programs that support cultural identity, leadership, and recreation. As we reflect on the important work we have ahead with respect to truth and reconciliation, we welcome you to join YMCA Calgary on that journey and take some time in June to participate in upcoming activities and learning opportunities both within the YMCA and the broader community.
We will be hosting outreach events at our branches throughout the city and will be collaborating with Urban Society for Aboriginal Youth (USAY) to deliver an interactive virtual reality experience featuring an Elder guided journey through Writing on Stone Provincial Park.
Branch Event Schedule (Virtual reality experience at events listed w/ USAY):
- June 13 Branch Outreach Event from 10 a.m. – 12 at Melcor YMCA at Crowfoot
- June 14 Branch Outreach event w/ USAY from 2 p.m. – 6 at Shane Homes YMCA at Rocky Ridge
- June 15 Branch Outreach Event from 8 a.m. – 12 at Remington YMCA in Quarry Park
- June 16 Branch Outreach Event w/ USAY from 2 p.m. – 6 at Brookfield Residential YMCA at Seton
- June 23 Branch Outreach Event w/ USAY from 2 p.m. – 5 at Saddletowne YMCA
- June 24 Branch Outreach Event from 8 a.m. – 12 at Shawnessy YMCA
Aboriginal Awareness Week Calgary (AAWC) will be hosting several free events:
- Indigenous Variety Showcase on Sunday, June 19, from 1 – 4 p.m. at Studio Bell National Music Centre (Free admission, must register online here)
- National Indigenous Family Day & POW WOW on Saturday, June 25, from 9 a.m. – 6 p.m. at Calgary Stampede Grounds – South Park (Free admission, open to the public)
- Urban Society for Aboriginal Youth (USAY) will be hosting their Treat7 & Trivia Launch Event featuring Elder prayer and traditional dancers, singers and drummers. Monday, June 20th, from 2 p.m. – 5 at Fort Calgary
We are looking forward to celebrating and sharing knowledge with you throughout Indigenous History Month.