Novel Coronavirus (COVID-19) Update
YMCA Calgary Coronavirus Update: March 12, 2020
YMCA Calgary has been working diligently to monitor and prepare for the impacts of the Coronavirus (COVID-19) – which is raising health concerns across the globe. Although a number of confirmed or presumptive cases of the virus have been identified in Alberta and throughout Canada, Health Canada, Alberta Health Services and other Canadian agencies have stated that the risk to Canadians remains low as hospitals have a strong system to prevent and control infections. This outbreak is being closely monitored by all relevant agencies in our province and federally.
Should this issue escalate in our community, YMCA Calgary is ready to respond in alignment with the information and guidance from Alberta Health and supporting agencies. YMCA Calgary has plans in place which outline the necessary steps both in prevention (e.g. hygiene and housekeeping practices), preparedness, and our response in the event of an outbreak.
There are several systems, policies and activities that happen on a daily basis that position us very strongly both to keep our communities safe, and to react if needed.
Here at the YMCA we are:
- Encouraging frequent hand washing
- Encouraging cough and sneeze etiquette
- Cleaning common areas more frequently and deepening our efforts in cleaning and disinfecting surfaces
Please help us by:
- Staying home if you or your family members are sick
- Washing your hands before and after entering program areas, after using equipment or before sending your child to a program
- Covering your cough or sneeze with a tissue or your elbow, and disposing of tissues immediately
- Placing dirty towels in the towel bins
- Wiping down machines and equipment with disinfectant before and after each use
If you would like more information on the Coronavirus, please refer to the Government of Alberta website at https://www.alberta.ca/coronavirus-info-for-albertans.aspx
YMCA facilities are gathering places for community life all over Calgary and in the Bow Valley. Our YMCA promotes community building and is guided by the core values of honesty, respect, responsibility and caring. It is through this lens we are approaching this situation and working to ensure the YMCA continues to be safe and welcoming.
Thank you for your commitment and support for our YMCA team members working in our communities every day. Together we are working to be safe, be diligent, and alert to the YMCA community’s needs.