Why should you join our team?
YMCA Calgary is actively building healthy communities – Join us in creating a better Calgary
YMCA Calgary opened its doors in 1902, since then we have evolved into a vibrant charitable organization where thousands of children, youth and adults access our programs and facilities. We are much more than a gym, pool, and recreational facility – we strive to adapt to community needs, and ensure that our programs and facilities can be accessed by all who need them. YMCA Calgary staff firmly believe that they are creating a positive impact in the community through their work at the Y. In our work we deliver health and wellness programs, community outreach, aboriginal programs, newcomer programs, day and overnight camping, outdoor schools, leadership development, childcare, and much more.
We serve diverse community needs through the Gray Family Eau Claire YMCA, Melcor YMCA at Crowfoot, Shawnessy YMCA, South Health Campus YMCA, Community YMCA, Saddletowne YMCA, Remington YMCA, and Camp Chief Hector YMCA. The YMCA also operates a stand-alone childcare centre in Quarry Park to serve 348 children… and we are only just getting started. In partnership with the City of Calgary, we will expand our impact operating new facilities Shane Homes YMCA in Rocky Ridge and Seton. These amazing new spaces will help us reach more people through our passionate volunteers, members, and staff.
At YMCA Calgary we are passionate about our work and know that we are creating a positive impact in the community. Our staff feel welcomed from the first day they start and quickly feel a sense of belonging here at the Y. If you are looking to care deeply about your work, make the community a better place, and develop your leadership skills this is the place for you!
Youth Sports Instructor Volunteer
Shane Homes YMCA in Rocky Ridge
11300 Rocky Ridge Rd. N.W.
Start Date: January 2018
YMCA Calgary also offers multiple other perks and benefits;
· Minimum time commitment is 2hrs per week on a consistent schedule for a 10-12 month term starting January 2018.
· Complimentary YMCA Calgary membership (upon completion of a 3-month probationary period and all required training)
· Free continuing education opportunities throughout the year
· Member rates on registered programming
· Discounted rates on additional YMCA certification courses
What qualifications are we looking for?
At YMCA Calgary we strive to ensure our employees are a fit based on their strengths, interests, and future goals.
The successful candidate will have the following;
· Previous coaching and/or instructing and/or playing experience in basketball, soccer, badminton, volleyball or floor hockey.
· Interest in working with youth between the ages of 6 – 15 years old
· Strong communication and teamwork skills
· A love for sport, personal and community development
· An NCCP Coaching Certification in fundamental movement skills and/or related physical literacy training is considered an asset.
· Preference will be given to applicants enrolled in diploma, degree or certificate program related to Physical Education, Sport Administration, Recreation, Physical Literacy or Kinesiology.
· Availability to work evenings and/or Saturdays is required
· Current Standard First Aid and CPR C certification
· Evidence of a clear Police Information Check and Vulnerable Sector Search
· Three professional references
What does this role look like?
The Youth Sports Instructor will:
· Provide an impactful experience for children and youth participating in registered sport programs including basketball, badminton, floor hockey, soccer and/or volleyball.
· Promote the development of fundamental movements skills by following curriculum objectives and creative progressive lesson plans.
· Encourage participants to remain active for life by providing an inclusive environment that fosters social connections and self-confidence.
· Develop individual and team-related sport-skills through organized drills & games.
· Work collaboratively with other coaches and volunteers advocate sportsmanship, leadership and team work through modified league games.
· Maintain a safe environment by following policies and procedures to manage risks associated with participation in sport programs.
· Introduce and encourage team-building, incorporating the act of social giving and local community engagement.
· Promote YMCA programs and services for young adults internally and externally
· Support the Sport Director by performing administrative tasks associated with the sport programs.
What qualities do we look for in YMCA Calgary volunteers?
Our staff and volunteers model and are committed to the following competencies;
1. Developing Self and Others: Developing people with a view toward present and future capacity.
2. Building Purposeful Relationships: Relating to people authentically with their best in mind.
3. Creating a Culture of Community: Gathering people to purpose and vision.
4. Making Intentional Impact: Intending to make a difference every day.
5. Thinking and Acting Strategically: Applying thoughts, words, and actions in service to the vision.
6. Applying Business Acumen: Demonstrating excellence in technical skills and stewarding the YMCA Business Model.
7. Innovating: Ability to know your environment, initiate and respond effectively to changing conditions.
If interested in this volunteer opportunity, please send a resume and completed volunteer application to email@example.com