¬Why should you join our team?
YMCA Calgary is actively building healthy communities – Join us in creating a better Calgary
YMCA Calgary opened its doors in 1902, since then we have evolved into a vibrant charitable organization where thousands of children, youth and adults access our programs and facilities. We are much more than a gym, pool, and recreational facility – we strive to adapt to community needs, and ensure that our programs and facilities can be accessed by all who need them. YMCA Calgary volunteers firmly believe that they are creating a positive impact in the community through their work at the Y. In our work we deliver health and wellness programs, community outreach, aboriginal programs, newcomer programs, day and overnight camping, outdoor schools, leadership development, childcare, and much more.
We serve diverse community needs through the Gray Family Eau Claire YMCA, Melcor YMCA at Crowfoot, Shawnessy YMCA, South Health Campus YMCA, Community YMCA, Saddletowne YMCA, Remington YMCA and Camp Chief Hector YMCA. The YMCA also operates a stand-alone childcare centre in Quarry Park to serve 348 children… and we are only just getting started. In partnership with the City of Calgary, recently expanded our impact to operate the new Shane Homes YMCA in Rocky Ridge and in 2019 we will open our largest facility ever in the southeast community of Seton. These amazing new spaces will help us reach more people through our passionate volunteers, members, and staff.
At YMCA Calgary we are passionate about our work and know that we are creating a positive impact in the community. Our volunteers feel welcomed from the first day they start and quickly feel a sense of belonging here at the Y. If you are looking to care deeply about your work, make the community a better place, and develop your leadership skills this is the place for you!
Fitness Instructor Volunteer at various YMCA Calgary facilities:
Start Date: Immediate
· Minimum time commitment is 1 class per week on a consistent schedule for a 12 month term
– Maintain current fitness certifications and YMCA training requirements
Volunteer Perks and Benefits;
· Complimentary YMCA Calgary membership (upon completion of a 3-month probationary period and all required training)
· Free continuing education opportunities throughout the year
· Member rates on registered programming
· Discounted rates on additional YMCA certification courses
What qualifications are we looking for?
At YMCA Calgary we strive to ensure our volunteers are a fit based on their strengths, interests, and future goals.
The successful candidate will have the following:
· Previous experience teaching group fitness classes including (but not limited to):
Group Aquatic Fitness
Group Cardio (hi/lo & step)
Older Adults / Gentle Fitness
· Valid YMCA/AFLCA Group Fitness/Yoga/Pilates/Barre certification is required.
· CPR-C taken within the last year.
· Valid Police Clearance with Vulnerable Sector check within the last year.
· 3 professional references
Not currently certified in fitness? YMCA Calgary offers a variety of Fitness Leadership certification programs to get you started! Visit https://econnect.calgary.ymca.ca/ and search under Leadership Programs for more information.
What does this role look like?
The Fitness Instructor will:
· Provide an impactful experience for members and non-members participating in fitness classes.
· Accommodate participants of varying ages & abilities by providing modifications for exercises included in program plans.
· Educate participants on the fundamentals of fitness and exercise by leading safe and progressive classes including warm-up and cool down.
· Maintain a safe environment by following policies & procedures to manage risks associated with participating in fitness classes.
· Demonstrate excellent service for participants by being available before & after classes to answer questions and respond to feedback.
· Ensure adequate resources are available for classes by engaging in the set-up and take-down of equipment.
· Provide support for other instructors through collaborative marketing initiatives and subbing for classes when needed.
· Assist the Adult Program Director and Adult Program Coordinator in maintaining communication with class participants by making announcements during the classes and collecting feedback from participants.
· Actively participate in meetings & in-services associated with the fitness classes.
· Build positive relationships with staff and volunteers working in the Wellness Centre.
· Support the Adult Program Director and Adult Program Coordinator by assisting with administrative tasks as needed.
What qualities do we look for in YMCA Calgary volunteers?
· Our staff and volunteers model and are committed to the following competencies;
· 1. Developing Self and Others: Developing people with a view toward present and future capacity.
· 2. Building Purposeful Relationships: Relating to people authentically with their best in mind.
· 3. Creating a Culture of Community: Gathering people to purpose and vision.
· 4. Making Intentional Impact: Intending to make a difference every day.
· 5. Thinking and Acting Strategically: Applying thoughts, words, and actions in service to the vision.
· 6. Applying Business Acumen: Demonstrating excellence in technical skills and stewarding the YMCA Business Model.
· 7. Innovating: Ability to know your environment, initiate and respond effectively to changing conditions.
If interested in this volunteer opportunity, please send a resume and completed volunteer application to our website at https://careers.ymcacalgary.org/ or visit your local YMCA Calgary branch.