Why should you join our team?
YMCA Calgary is actively building healthy communities – Join us in creating a better Calgary
YMCA Calgary opened its doors in 1902, since then we have evolved into a vibrant charitable organization where thousands of children, youth and adults access our programs and facilities. We are much more than a gym, pool, and recreational facility – we strive to adapt to community needs, and ensure that our programs and facilities can be accessed by all who need them. YMCA Calgary staff firmly believe that they are creating a positive impact in the community through their work at the Y. In our work we deliver health and wellness programs, community outreach, aboriginal programs, newcomer programs, day and overnight camping, outdoor schools, leadership development, childcare, and much more.
We serve diverse community needs through the Gray Family Eau Claire YMCA, Melcor YMCA at Crowfoot, Shawnessy YMCA, South Health Campus YMCA, Community YMCA, Saddletowne YMCA, Remington YMCA, and Camp Chief Hector YMCA. The YMCA also operates a stand-alone childcare centre in Quarry Park to serve 348 children… and we are only just getting started. In partnership with the City of Calgary, we will expand our impact operating new facilities Shane Homes YMCA in Rocky Ridge and Seton. These amazing new spaces will help us reach more people through our passionate volunteers, members, and staff.
At YMCA Calgary we are passionate about our work and know that we are creating a positive impact in the community. Our staff feel welcomed from the first day they start and quickly feel a sense of belonging here at the Y. If you are looking to care deeply about your work, make the community a better place, and develop your leadership skills this is the place for you!
Child Minding Caregiver Volunteer
Shane Homes YMCA in Rocky Ridge
11300 Rocky Ridge Rd. N.W.
Start Date: Immediate
YMCA Calgary also offers multiple other perks and benefits;
• This volunteer position will work 1-3 days per week (2-4 hours per shift)
· Complimentary YMCA Calgary membership (upon completion of a 3-month probationary period and all required training)
· Free continuing education opportunities throughout the year
· Member rates on registered programming
· Discounted rates on additional YMCA certification courses
What qualifications are we looking for?
At YMCA Calgary we strive to ensure our employees are a fit based on their strengths, interests, and future goals.
The successful candidate will have the following;
• Previous experience providing care for children aged 6 weeks – 8 years of age
• Able to commit to working a regular schedule as determined by area need – this may be a day, evening or weekend shift
• Excellent verbal communication skills
• Standard First Aid and/or CPR Level C is desirable
• Evidence of clear criminal record check with vulnerable sector search
What does this role look like?
Reporting to the Child Minding Supervisor, the Child Minding Volunteer will support child minding operations within the Shane Homes YMCA at Rocky Ridge. The child minding area provides short-term care for children ages 6 weeks – 8 years of age while their parent/guardian is accessing facility amenities.
Key Areas of Responsibility
• Positively engage with children providing play-based, age appropriate activities
• Utilize developmentally appropriate child guidance strategies
• Maintain an environment that is safe, clean and in good repair
• Support children’s personal care needs
• Support booking processes for the child minding area
• Ensure only authorized persons remove children from the child minding area
• Communicate effectively and professionally with colleagues as well as parents/guardians about a child’s child minding experience
• Attend and participate in scheduled YMCA meetings and trainings. Maintain personal certifications and trainings
• Demonstrate safe practices at all times and act promptly on health and safety risks and concerns
Training and Orientation
• The following trainings will be required to be taken within the three month probationary period and re-certified as per YMCA Calgary policies and procedures:
o YMCA Calgary Onboarding training
o YMCA Calgary Health and Safety training
o YMCA Canada Child Protection training
What qualities do we look for in YMCA Calgary volunteers?
Our staff and volunteers model and are committed to the following competencies;
1. Developing Self and Others: Developing people with a view toward present and future capacity.
2. Building Purposeful Relationships: Relating to people authentically with their best in mind.
3. Creating a Culture of Community: Gathering people to purpose and vision.
4. Making Intentional Impact: Intending to make a difference every day.
5. Thinking and Acting Strategically: Applying thoughts, words, and actions in service to the vision.
6. Applying Business Acumen: Demonstrating excellence in technical skills and stewarding the YMCA Business Model.
7. Innovating: Ability to know your environment, initiate and respond effectively to changing conditions.
If interested in this volunteer opportunity, please send a resume and completed volunteer application to email@example.com