Why should you join our team?
YMCA Calgary is actively building healthy communities – Join us in creating a better Calgary
YMCA Calgary opened its doors in 1902, since then we have evolved into a vibrant charitable organization where thousands of children, youth and adults access our programs and facilities. We are much more than a gym, pool, and recreational facility – we strive to adapt to community needs, and ensure that our programs and facilities can be accessed by all who need them. YMCA Calgary staff firmly believe that they are creating a positive impact in the community through their work at the Y. In our work we deliver health and wellness programs, community outreach, aboriginal programs, newcomer programs, day and overnight camping, outdoor schools, leadership development, childcare, and much more.
We serve diverse community needs through the Gray Family Eau Claire YMCA, Melcor YMCA at Crowfoot, Shawnessy YMCA, South Health Campus YMCA, Community YMCA, Saddletowne YMCA, Remington YMCA, and Camp Chief Hector YMCA. The YMCA also operates a stand-alone childcare centre in Quarry Park to serve 348 children… and we are only just getting started. In partnership with the City of Calgary, we will expand our impact operating new facilities Shane Homes YMCA in Rocky Ridge and Seton. These amazing new spaces will help us reach more people through our passionate volunteers, members, and staff.
At YMCA Calgary we are passionate about our work and know that we are creating a positive impact in the community. Our staff feel welcomed from the first day they start and quickly feel a sense of belonging here at the Y. If you are looking to care deeply about your work, make the community a better place, and develop your leadership skills this is the place for you!
Aqua Instructor Volunteer
333 Shawville Blvd SE
Start Date: Immediate
Volunteer Commitment and Privileges
· Minimum time commitment is 1 class/week on a consistent schedule
· Complementary YMCA Volunteer Membership (upon completion of 3-month probationary period and all required training)
· Free continuing education opportunities throughout the year
· Member rates on registered programming
What qualifications are we looking for?
At YMCA Calgary we strive to ensure our volunteers are a fit based on their strengths, interests, and future goals.
· Police Information Check and Vulnerable Sector Search
· Aqua Instructor Certification
· CPR C Certified Every Year
· 16 Continuing Education Credits every two years
What does this role look like?
· Aqua fit volunteers will be lead a safe and effective Aqua Class in Shallow and/or Deep-Water classes
· Aqua fit Volunteers will help to set up class equipment/take down and keeping the equipment clean. This may include: Aqua dumb bells, fins, noodles, flutter boards, etc.
· Aqua fit volunteers will keep all certifications and CPR current and up to date
Our staff and volunteers model and are committed to the following competencies;
Developing Self and Others: Developing people with a view toward present and future capacity.
Building Purposeful Relationships: Relating to people authentically with their best in mind.
Creating a Culture of Community: Gathering people to purpose and vision.
Making Intentional Impact: Intending to make a difference every day.
Thinking and Acting Strategically: Applying thoughts, words, and actions in service to the vision.
Applying Business Acumen: Demonstrating excellence in technical skills and stewarding the YMCA Business Model.
Innovating: Ability to know your environment, initiate and respond effectively to changing conditions.
If interested in this volunteer opportunity, please send a resume and completed volunteer application to:
YMCA Calgary Association Services 101 3 St. S.W. Calgary, AB T2P 4G6 Email: firstname.lastname@example.org