¬Why should you join our team?
YMCA Calgary is actively building healthy communities – Join us in creating a better Calgary
YMCA Calgary opened its doors in 1902, since then we have evolved into a vibrant charitable organization where thousands of children, youth and adults access our programs and facilities. We are much more than a gym, pool, and recreational facility – we strive to adapt to community needs, and ensure that our programs and facilities can be accessed by all who need them. YMCA Calgary volunteers firmly believe that they are creating a positive impact in the community through their work at the Y. In our work we deliver health and wellness programs, community outreach, aboriginal programs, newcomer programs, day and overnight camping, outdoor schools, leadership development, childcare, and much more.
We serve diverse community needs through the Gray Family Eau Claire YMCA, Melcor YMCA at Crowfoot, Shawnessy YMCA, South Health Campus YMCA, Community YMCA, Saddletowne YMCA, Remington YMCA, and Camp Chief Hector YMCA. The YMCA also operates a stand-alone childcare centre in Quarry Park to serve 348 children… and we are only just getting started. In partnership with the City of Calgary, recently expanded our impact to operate the new Shane Homes YMCA in Rocky Ridge and in 2019 we will open our largest facility ever in the southeast community of Seton. These amazing new spaces will help us reach more people through our passionate volunteers, members, and staff.
At YMCA Calgary we are passionate about our work and know that we are creating a positive impact in the community. Our volunteers feel welcomed from the first day they start and quickly feel a sense of belonging here at the Y. If you are looking to care deeply about your work, make the community a better place, and develop your leadership skills this is the place for you!
Strength & Conditioning Volunteer
Location: Various YMCA Calgary locations
Start Date: Immediate
YMCA Calgary also offers multiple other perks and benefits;
· Minimum time commitment is 2hrs per week on a consistent schedule for a 10-12 month term starting January 2018.
· Complimentary YMCA Calgary membership (upon completion of a 3-month probationary period and all required training)
· Free continuing education opportunities throughout the year
· Member rates on registered programming
Discounted rates on additional YMCA certification courses
What qualifications are we looking for?
At YMCA Calgary we strive to ensure our employees are a fit based on their strengths, interests, and future goals.
The successful candidate will have the following:
· Working towards Bachelor of Physical Education, Kinesiology or related degree/diploma/certificate
· Experience in a fitness or exercise related field
· Training or Certification through YMCA, AFLCA and/or Can-Fit Pro is considered an asset.
· Current Standard First Aid and CPR C certification
· Evidence of a cleared Police Information check including a Vulnerable Sector Search
Three professional references required
What does this role look like?
The Strength and Conditioning Volunteer will:
· Provide an impactful experience for members and non-members utilizing the Strength & Conditioning Floor by connecting them to appropriate resources, supports and programs.
· Support an inclusive environment for members and non-members by building positive connections with users of the Strength & Conditioning Floor.
· Take initiative in maintaining a safe environment for users of the Strength & Conditioning Floor by organizing and cleaning equipment.
· Maintain a safe environment by following policies & procedures to manage risks associated with activities in the Strength & Conditioning Floor.
· Engage members and non-members using the Strength & Conditioning Floor in conversations and follow-up with general inquires in a professional manner.
· Establish a supportive environment for staff and volunteers providing programs and services in the Strength & Conditioning Floor.
· Provide support for the Adult Program Director and Adult Program Coordinator as needed.
· Be available to work flexible hours including early mornings, evenings, and weekends.
What qualities do we look for in YMCA Calgary volunteers?
Our staff and volunteers model and are committed to the following competencies;
1. Developing Self and Others: Developing people with a view toward present and future capacity.
2. Building Purposeful Relationships: Relating to people authentically with their best in mind.
3. Creating a Culture of Community: Gathering people to purpose and vision.
4. Making Intentional Impact: Intending to make a difference every day.
5. Thinking and Acting Strategically: Applying thoughts, words, and actions in service to the vision.
6. Applying Business Acumen: Demonstrating excellence in technical skills and stewarding the YMCA Business Model.
7. Innovating: Ability to know your environment, initiate and respond effectively to changing conditions.
If interested in this volunteer opportunity, please send a resume and completed volunteer application to our website at https://careers.ymcacalgary.org/