Volunteer Title: Mathematics Tutor
Location: Community YMCA
Start Date: September 2019
YMCA Calgary’s Community branch serves individuals and communities beyond traditional YMCA Health & Wellness branch doors. Programs are offered in all quadrants of the city and include education enrichment, leadership, health and wellness, recreation, childcare, and Indigenous programs and services. These programs, generously supported by donors, ensure all people have access to quality programs, which help individuals belong, grow, thrive, and lead.
Volunteer Title: High School Mathematics Tutor (group tutoring)
YMCA Calgary is seeking energetic and committed volunteer mathematics tutors interested in helping high school youth in a group tutoring setting. Tutoring Table was started and is funded by the All in for Youth initiative through the United Way of Calgary and Area. All In For Youth is designed to help support youth who are at risk of dropping out of high school. Tutoring has been proven to show positive results in terms of helping youth improve their academic achievement and school attendance, and providing a connection to a positive adult. However, many youths cannot afford to access quality tutoring programs. In response, Tutoring Table offers free tutoring to high school students with an academic and financial need.
Group tutoring sessions are held after school for two hours with start times between 4:00 and 4:30 pm. Sessions are offered Mondays through Thursdays. Lead tutors support group tutoring sessions with approximately 30 youth and up to 10 volunteers at each session. The program operates out of 5 YMCA locations in Calgary: Melcor YMCA at Crowfoot, Gray Family Eau Claire YMCA, Saddletowne YMCA, Shawnessy YMCA, Remington YMCA at Quarry Park and out of 4 satellite sites, Father Lacombe High School, Forest Lawn High School, Crescent Heights High School and Vivo.
Key Areas of Responsibility
Volunteer tutors should be comfortable:
- Working with high school youth in a group setting
- Communicating with and teaching youth struggling in math
- Engaging in a positive, strengths-based approach
- Tutors must be at least 15 years of age and have a strong understanding of high school level Math
- Experience/interest in mathematics (training and resources will be provided)
- Experience working with youth would be considered an asset
- Evidence of a cleared security clearance, including vulnerable sector search (to be completed by YMCA Calgary)
Volunteer Commitment and Privileges
- Tutoring Table runs two-three times a week. Volunteers commit to a minimum of one two-hour session each week for the full school semester (February to June, excluding school breaks)
- YMCA- specific training is mandatory for all volunteers and includes tutoring orientation, onboarding, health and safety training, as well as child protection training (up to 15 hours).
- Optional curriculum training is offered through the Renert Centre at the beginning of each semester.
- Upon completion of 16 hours of tutoring and by maintaining their volunteering hours, volunteers are eligible for a citywide YMCA general membership.
If interested in this volunteer opportunity, please send a resume or application to:
Name: Sonalin Bhayani
Title: Youth Engagement Manager
Address: 101 3rd Street SW
Phone: (403) 826-2757