Why should you join our team?
YMCA Calgary is actively building healthy communities – Join us in creating a better Calgary
YMCA Calgary opened its doors in 1902, since then we have evolved into a vibrant charitable organization where thousands of children, youth and adults access our programs and facilities. We are much more than a gym, pool, and recreational facility – we strive to adapt to community needs, and ensure that our programs and facilities can be accessed by all who need them. YMCA Calgary staff firmly believe that they are creating a positive impact in the community through their work at the Y. In our work we deliver health and wellness programs, community outreach, aboriginal programs, newcomer programs, day and overnight camping, outdoor schools, leadership development, childcare, and much more.
We serve diverse community needs through the Gray Family Eau Claire YMCA, Melcor YMCA at Crowfoot, Shawnessy YMCA, South Health Campus YMCA, Community YMCA, Saddletowne YMCA, Remington YMCA, and Camp Chief Hector YMCA. The YMCA also operates a stand-alone childcare centre in Quarry Park to serve 348 children… and we are only just getting started. In partnership with the City of Calgary, we will expand our impact operating new facilities Shane Homes YMCA in Rocky Ridge and Seton. These amazing new spaces will help us reach more people through our passionate volunteers, members, and staff.
At YMCA Calgary we are passionate about our work and know that we are creating a positive impact in the community. Our staff feel welcomed from the first day they start and quickly feel a sense of belonging here at the Y. If you are looking to care deeply about your work, make the community a better place, and develop your leadership skills this is the place for you!
Fitness Instructor Volunteer
Shane Homes YMCA in Rocky Ridge
11300 Rocky Ridge Rd. N.W.
Start Date: January 2018
YMCA Calgary also offers multiple other perks and benefits;
· Minimum time commitment is 2hrs per week on a consistent schedule for a 10-12 month term starting January 2018.
· Complimentary YMCA Calgary membership (upon completion of a 3-month probationary period and all required training)
· Free continuing education opportunities throughout the year
· Member rates on registered programming
· Discounted rates on additional YMCA certification courses
What qualifications are we looking for?
At YMCA Calgary we strive to ensure our employees are a fit based on their strengths, interests, and future goals.
The successful candidate will have the following:
· Previous experience teaching group fitness classes including (but not limited to):
· Valid YMCA/AFLCA Group Fitness/Yoga/Pilates/Barre certification is required.
· Standard First Aid & CPR-C taken within the last year.
· Valid Police Clearance with Vulnerable Sector check within the last year.
· 3 professional references
What does this role look like?
The Fitness Instructor will:
· · Provide an impactful experience for members and non-members participating in fitness classes.
· · Accommodate participants of varying ages & abilities by providing modifications for exercises included in program plans.
· · Educate participants on the fundamentals of fitness and exercise by leading safe and progressive classes including warm-up and cool down.
· · Maintain a safe environment by following policies & procedures to manage risks associated with participating in fitness classes.
· · Demonstrate excellent service for participants by being available before & after classes to answer questions and respond to feedback.
· · Ensure adequate resources are available for classes by engaging in the set-up and take-down of equipment.
· · Provide support for other instructors through collaborative marketing initiatives and subbing for classes when needed.
· · Assist the Adult Program Director and Adult Program Coordinator in maintaining communication with class participants by making announcements during the classes and collecting feedback from participants.
· · Actively participate in meetings & in-services associated with the fitness classes.
· · Build positive relationships with staff and volunteers working in the Wellness Centre.
· · Support the Adult Program Director and Adult Program Coordinator by assisting with administrative tasks as needed.
What qualities do we look for in YMCA Calgary volunteers?
· Our staff and volunteers model and are committed to the following competencies;
· 1. Developing Self and Others: Developing people with a view toward present and future capacity.
· 2. Building Purposeful Relationships: Relating to people authentically with their best in mind.
· 3. Creating a Culture of Community: Gathering people to purpose and vision.
· 4. Making Intentional Impact: Intending to make a difference every day.
· 5. Thinking and Acting Strategically: Applying thoughts, words, and actions in service to the vision.
· 6. Applying Business Acumen: Demonstrating excellence in technical skills and stewarding the YMCA Business Model.
· 7. Innovating: Ability to know your environment, initiate and respond effectively to changing conditions.
If interested in this volunteer opportunity, please send a resume and completed volunteer application to email@example.com