YMCA Calgary Updates and FAQ
YMCA Calgary Update: June 8, 2021
We miss you! It has been a long time, and we cannot wait to have you back through our doors! The YMCA is just not the same without you.
After this week’s announcement that our community has met the Government of Alberta’s threshold to advance the province’s re-opening even further, we are inviting you to Stay and Play this summer at the Y.
YMCA Calgary is working now to safely re-open our facilities on Monday, June 28.
We truly appreciate you staying with us – and keeping your excitement up – as we prepare to make this summer fun and enjoyable for you and your family. A lot is happening right now to prepare for re-opening and to bring back the services and amenities you love. Although the Government of Alberta has announced its intention to move into Stage 2 of the provincial re-opening plan shortly, we believe that we will be able to offer all our services more fully within Stage 3, currently expected at the end of the month.
In the spirit of transparency, here is what we will be working on during this time:
- Considering the results of your feedback from our recent member survey where you told us what you are expecting from your YMCA experience
- Preparing our facilities for re-opening after an extended closure
- Ensuring our facilities meet the highest standards of health and safety based on evolving guidance from relevant health authorities, and using all we have learned over many months of successful operations, even during other stages of the pandemic
- Recalling and re-training staff and volunteers so they can support you and your family upon your return to our facilities
- Getting ready to introduce an exciting new digital platform, Y@HOME+, which will become an ongoing member benefit through YMCA Calgary
Thank you for your patience as we prepare. We are very excited to have you back this summer!
For the time being, all YMCA Calgary memberships remain paused, and no payments are being taken. We will give advanced notice when memberships will be restarted and provide membership options and updates before June 28 for you to consider. Please watch your email, our website and our social media platforms for details.
Amenities and Capacity Limits
Our team is currently making decisions on what your return to the YMCA will look like. Please note: We will continue with many of the YMCA safety protocols we had in place previously as they become industry best practice. This is to add an additional layer of protection in order to keep you safe and achieve the standards of experience and comfort we have been proud to offer during opening periods previously.
As we re-open, we know the need for the YMCA is more important than ever. We are excited to welcome all our members and participants back through our doors starting June 28.
Yours in wellness,
President and CEO
YMCA Calgary Update: June 2, 2021
Welcome back to your YMCA! Currently, we are already preparing and offering you ways to get that Y feeling during Stage 1 – which includes select outdoor programming starting Friday, June 4!
Although all indoor facilities remain closed, as we prepare to re-open our facilities further, we want our planning to reflect your needs as much as we can. We are asking all YMCA Calgary Members to complete the following survey to help us plan for a safe re-opening and to help us plan what activities you and your family would like to see. Have your voice heard!
The survey is now closed, thank you for your participation
Starting Friday, June 4, select outdoor programming is returning!
During Stage 1 of the Alberta Open for Summer plan, YMCA Calgary is responding as follows:
- Your membership remains on-hold during this time and will remain on-hold until more options are readily available. Any programming you wish to register for will be pay-per-use.
- All indoor facilities remain closed. YMCA Calgary took the proactive step to suspend all indoor activity on April 9th and this remains unchanged.
- Starting Wednesday, June 2, select outdoor programming will open for registration with programs starting Friday, June 4.
- Programming will be updated and added every week.
Current Offering of Activities
We are excited to offer you a range of activities and opportunities outdoors to stay active in the fresh air.
- Active programming for children, youth and adults. Registration begins Wednesday June 2nd. Click here to register online!
- Outdoor fitness and yoga classes. Registration begins June 2nd. Join a class for $10! Click here to register online!
- Summer Day Camps: YMCA Calgary is actively planning to offer Summer Day Camps July 4 – August 27, 2021. Click here to register online!
- Facebook Live Fitness Classes will resume online, freely available to all members of the community on our Facebook page. Click here to take a Facebook Live Fitness Class
- Calgary Flames Grade 6 outdoor and virtual Activities
Click + icon to expand
How to Register for an Activity
Summer Camps at YMCA
YMCA Calgary is excited to offer you Summer Camps! While we can’t engage in the way you might be used to, we’ve found a way to offer you week-long summer experiences that will be safe, fun and memorable. We look forward to connecting with your kids. New this year is family/household overnight weekend camp experiences at Camp Chief Hector YMCA! Enjoy the great outdoors with your family like never before.
We are also pleased to bring you hundreds of Virtual Activities available now and in the coming days, including our Facebook Live workout classes.
Calgary Flames Grade 6 Activities
We are excited to offer Calgary Flames Grade 6 activities live and in person in a safe and fun outdoor environment and a virtual at home experience. We can't wait to get back to giving youth a safe place to practice independence, develop healthy habits, and establish a sense of belonging in a centre of community that promotes the values of respect, honesty, caring and responsibility.
For more information on our Calgary Flames Grade 6 activities, visit our online portal below.
Stay With Us
Sadly, this is the third time we’ve needed to severely restrict our operations since the pandemic restrictions began in March 2020. Please know that YMCA Calgary considers this new temporary operating model the best way we can serve the community right now.
The loss of membership and program revenue over the last year is causing financial strain on our charity. To remain strong, we are asking for your help. We’re asking you to STAY WITH US.
If you are able, re-start your monthly YMCA membership fee as a donation or make a monthly donation other than your membership fee. Your donations are tax deductible and will be matched by our Lead Up donors.
Your support will enable us to:
- Offer a growing array of digital resources on the Virtual Y site https://virtualy.ymcacalgary.org/ to help you and the community thrive even while at home
- Develop solutions to support the community in their physical, emotional and social health
- Continue to adapt current programs to offer virtual programming such as math tutoring, newcomers support and Indigenous youth development
- Maintain our facilities to ensure our more complete re-opening is as timely and efficient as possible, when permitted
By STAYING WITH US, you'll ensure we return strong and ready to serve you, both indoors and out. Plus, you'll support the essential services we’re providing to our communities right now.
STAY WITH US and continue paying your monthly membership fee as a tax-deductible donation, or make a donation to the YMCA.
We know this is a challenging time for all, and this may mean you are not in a position to financially support the YMCA right now. If you are unable to donate, you can still help by sharing this message with family and friends who also may have a connection to the YMCA. We’ve helped many people smile over 119 years!