YMCA Calgary Update: May 26, 2021
YMCA Calgary is pleased our community has come together to make significant progress towards slowing the spread of COVID-19. We are making plans now to fully comply with the new guidelines and timing provided by the Government of Alberta. Our commitment is to re-open safely to protect our members and participants when the time is right, while expanding the programs and services we know you love and that we look forward to providing again. A timeline for YMCA Calgary’s re-opening, in alignment with the government’s stages, will be forthcoming. Please watch your email, our website, our YMCA Calgary app and our social media channels for updates.
YMCA Calgary Update: May 6, 2021
To our YMCA Calgary Community,
First and foremost, thank you for your patience as we yet again pivot due to the new regulations announced
by the Government of Alberta and the Chief Medical Officer of Health on Tuesday, May 4th.
YMCA Calgary is responding as follows:
- All indoor facilities remain closed. YMCA Calgary took the proactive step to suspend all indoor activity on April 10th and this remains unchanged.
- Outdoor programming and fitness classes will continue until Saturday, May 8th. View the schedule of classes here.
- The current session of outdoor registered programs (scheduled to end May 16) will end one week early. Participants will be refunded for one week, no action is required.
- The Spring B session of outdoor programs, which opened for registration May 3rd for programs starting May 17th , has been cancelled. Those who registered this week will be refunded, no action is required.
We miss you and are looking forward to opening our doors safely when the time comes. Even though we are closed, we are still here for you. Please read below to see what we are offering you during this time:
From Monday May 10th, YMCA Calgary will offer:
YMCA Calgary has taken the time to carefully consider the announcement on Tuesday April 6, 2021 by the Government of Alberta and Chief Medical Officer of Health returning Alberta to Step 1 of the Path Forward re-opening plan
We have first taken into account the health and safety of our staff, volunteers, members and participants given rising COVID case rates in this Third Wave. We have also examined the new level of restrictions, our capacity to serve the community under those restrictions and considered our current financial circumstances. Although we remain resilient, this very challenging year has influenced the programs and services we can offer while still covering our charity’s expenses.
With those things considered, we have made the difficult decision to temporarily discontinue all indoor YMCA activities until further notice
, but we will be providing additional outdoor/virtual programming during this period.
The temporary suspension of indoor activities includes:
- Opt-in membership*
- All indoor appointments (including, Supervised Lane Swim, Low/High Intensity Weight Floor and Cardio, Group Fitness Classes, and Family Gym, Skate, Lounge, and Rec Swim)
- Swimming lessons, skating programs, indoor sport programs, preschool programs (please see below for Refund information)
- Arena, pool and other facility bookings
*Membership payments are paused as of Thursday April 8. There is no action required for members who are currently active, on hold or on pause. Membership payments will resume when we are cleared to offer a broader array of services by relevant health authorities. We will give notice to members when that date is known.
The decision to discontinue indoor opportunities is not one we take lightly. However, we are mindful of the three principles
we established at the beginning of this pandemic:
We will consider ‘people first’
We will do the right thing
We will make decisions with the long-term health of our charity in mind
But just because we cannot provide services indoors right now, that does not mean your YMCA is going quiet. We understand that being active is crucial to your mental health, especially during this time of uncertainty. Due to this, we are providing alternatives that you can participate in to help keep you moving during this temporary indoor closure. There’s still lots you can do with the Y!
We are excited to offer you a range of programs and opportunities outdoors to stay active in the fresh air.
- Active programming for children, youth and adults
- Outdoor fitness and yoga classes
- Family experiences
- Summer Day Camps: YMCA Calgary is actively planning to offer Summer Day Camps July 4 – August 27, 2021. Register now to save your spot!
More details about these offerings will be forthcoming on our website.
We are also pleased to bring you hundreds
of Virtual Activities available now and in the coming days, including our new Y MIND mental health program for youth and young adults. It will continue to run virtually starting in May. Learn more by visiting www.ymcacalgary.org/ymind
Starting TODAY you can download a fitness calendar featuring a curated selection of Facebook Live Fitness Videos. We invite you to sweat with us and continue to get that Y feeling from your living room!
Download our Virtual Workout Calendar
Follow us on social media to keep up to date as we release more virtual activities that the whole family can enjoy.
Registered Programs - Refunds
All currently running indoor in-person Registered Programs are cancelled for the remainder of the season, originally due to finish May 16, 2021.
Refunds will be provided for any classes we were not able to run due to enhanced public health measures.
We are providing you with 3 options:
- Donate your Program fees to help our charity through this challenging time. Click here
- Credit your Program fees towards a later session of Registered Programs at the Y. Click here
- If you do not specify an option, full refunds will be automatically applied. There is no action required for this option. Program refunds will be processed as soon as possible. We appreciate your patience.
* Please note: Donate and Credit options will be available until 5:00 p.m. Wednesday April 14. Due to limited staffing, there will be reduced opportunities for member inquiries. Thank you for your understanding.
Stay With Us
Sadly, this is the third time we’ve needed to severely restrict our operations since the pandemic restrictions began in March 2020. Please know that YMCA Calgary considers this new temporary operating model the best way we can serve the community right now.
The loss of membership and program revenue over the last year is causing financial strain on our charity. To remain strong, we are asking for your help
. We’re asking you to STAY WITH US
If you are able, re-start your monthly YMCA membership fee as a donation or make a monthly donation other than your membership fee. Your donations are tax deductible and will be matched by our Lead Up donors.
Your support will enable us to:
- Offer a growing array of digital resources on the Virtual Y site https://virtualy.ymcacalgary.org/ to help you and the community thrive even while at home
- Develop solutions to support the community in their physical, emotional and social health
- Continue to adapt current programs to offer virtual programming such as math tutoring, newcomers support and Indigenous youth development
- Maintain our facilities to ensure our more complete re-opening is as timely and efficient as possible, when permitted
By STAYING WITH US
, you'll ensure we return strong and ready to serve you, both indoors and out. Plus, you'll support the essential services we’re providing to our communities right now.
STAY WITH US and continue paying your monthly membership fee as a tax-deductible donation, or make a donation to the YMCA.
To STAY WITH US please click here
We know this is a challenging time for all, and this may mean you are not in a position to financially support the YMCA right now. If you are unable to donate, you can still help by sharing this message with family and friends who also may have a connection to the YMCA. We’ve helped many people smile over 119 years!
In the coming days and weeks we will be using our website, www.ymcacalgary.org
, and social media channels for updates.
I cannot say enough how grateful we are to call you a part of our Y family. It is our joy and privilege to offer a place where so many find health and belonging each day. We look forward to serving you again indoors as soon as we are able.
If you have questions, please review information posted on our website first; if you are unable to find the answer you need, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Yours in wellness,
President and CEO
P.S. I’d like to invite you to our 119th Report to the Community which will be held virtually on Wednesday May 5th. At that time, I’ll provide the latest update on the YMCA and our path forward to continue to serve you and your family. An invite will be shared in the coming weeks.