YMCA Calgary Update
YMCA CALGARY ANNOUNCES SYSTEM-WIDE TEMPORARY CLOSURE EFFECTIVE DEC 13, 2020
As of Sunday December 13th, YMCA Calgary is again taking the necessary step to close all YMCA Calgary facilities in response to the COVID-19 (coronavirus) pandemic. (All facilities closing end of day Saturday, with the exception of Gray Family Eau Claire YMCA closing end of day Friday)
- Melcor YMCA at Crowfoot
- Gray Family Eau Claire YMCA
- Remington YMCA in Quarry Park
- Saddletowne YMCA
- Shawnessy YMCA
- Shane Homes YMCA at Rocky Ridge
- Brookfield Residential YMCA at Seton
- South Health Campus YMCA – facility currently closed
The closures are in compliance with an order by the Government of Alberta based on recommendations from Alberta’s Chief Medical Officer to shut down all recreation facilities in the province in order to aggressively manage rising case numbers in our community.
All YMCA Calgary facilities are closed to the public, and all rentals and recreation-related programs and services are cancelled. The child development centres within these facilities remain open.
No further payments will be taken until YMCA Calgary resumes services. YMCA ceased collecting membership payments as of Tuesday Dec 8th. There is no action required for members. Membership payments will resume upon re-opening and we will give notice to members when that date is known. We will not be processing individual membership suspensions or cancellations until re-opening.
We encourage our members and participants to watch our website for more information.
All in-person Registered Programs (Fall Session B) are cancelled for the remainder of the season, originally due to finish Dec 19, 2020.
Refunds will be provided for any classes we were not able to run due to enhanced public health measures. We are providing you with 3 options:
- Donate your Fall Program fees to help our charity through this challenging time. CLICK HERE
- Credit your Fall Program fees towards Winter Session Registered Programs at the Y. CLICK HERE
- If you do not specify an option then full refunds for Fall Session B will be automatically applied. There is no action required for this option. Program refunds will be processed by Dec 31, 2020. We appreciate your patience.
*Donate and Credit options will be available until end of day Saturday Dec 12th.
Summer Camp Registrations for July & August 2021, which typically happens during this time, will not occur until Spring 2021 once we receive further guidance from health authorities.
All tote boxes contents must be collected by end of day Saturday Dec 12. Appointments are not required. Access will not be possible after Sunday December 13 until re-opening.
All ice, pool and facility rentals for the period of closure will be cancelled and refunded automatically. No action is required at this time. We are unable to accept new rental inquiries until our facilities re-open.
YMCA Calgary exists to help create healthy communities. This system-wide closure is a precautionary step to ensure our communities stay healthy. This closure is not taken lightly, as it directly affects over 40,000 current members, program and child care participants, plus our many hundreds of staff and volunteers. As a ‘people first’ organization, we will be supporting our teams through this transition period.
But, in order to maintain and come back from this yet again to continue serving you, we are asking for your help.
If you are able, we are asking our Y community to Stay With Us and support the YMCA with a charitable donation. This could be in lieu of your monthly membership fee currently on hold or another amount to help sustain your YMCA through this temporary closure.
Your donations are crucial during this time. Your support will enable us to:
- Continue to offer an array of digital resources on the Virtual Y website to help you and the community thrive while at home
- Host Facebook Live classes multiple times a day, every day. Find them here.
- Develop solutions to support the community in their physical, emotional and social health
- Continue to adapt current programs to offer virtual programming such as math tutoring and youth leadership development
- Maintain our facilities to ensure our re-opening is as timely and efficient as possible when permitted
Donations during this time are critical to ensure we again return strong and ready to serve you — and you’ll support the essential services we’re providing to our communities right now.
To make a donation, please click the button below
In the coming days and weeks we will be using our website, www.ymcacalgary.org, and social media channels for updates and, when the time comes, to deliver a re-opening timeline.
I cannot say enough how grateful we are to call you a part of our Y family. It is our joy and privilege to offer a place where so many find health and belonging each day. We look forward to serving you again in person as soon as we are able.
If you have questions, please review information posted on our website first; if you are unable to find the answer you need, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Yours in wellness,
President and CEO