In Your School
Research shows the activities children take part in after school—including clubs, activities and programs—have a significant impact on their successful development. YMCA has developed programs to help children be involved in healthy, positive activities during critical after-school hours.
YMCA Tutoring TableTutoring Table is a free mathematics tutoring program for motivated high school students, offered in partnerships with the United Way of Calgary and Area through the “All In for Youth” initiative. Tutoring takes place in a small group setting, enabling students to receive more individual attention and ask questions while building their math skills, improving their study habits, and having the opportunity to connect with positive adult role models. The program offered is at no cost to the participants.
IMPORTANT PROGRAM CHANGES:
- The program is running at a limited number of on-site locations: Saddletowne YMCA, Shawnessy YMCA, Melcor YMCA at Crowfoot, Shane Homes YMCA at Rocky Ridge
- Tutoring is also offered in a blended format (online zoom sessions)
- Fully online zoom sessions are available Monday - Thursday for students who wish to enroll in online tutoring for the entire Fall 2020 semester
- Additional health and safety measures including health screening questions, proper face covering, frequent hand sanitizing and disinfecting are mandatory for all tutoring staff, volunteers, and students
- Applications are currently being accepted for the 2020/2021 school year
- The online and on-site sessions will commence on October 13th, 2020
- Students must attend an “All In for Youth” high school and be registered in math for the semester
- Priority will be given to students with low math grades and financial challenges
How To Apply
Spots are limited.
YMCA Calgary is seeking energetic and committed volunteer Mathematics tutors interested in helping high school youth in a group tutoring setting, as well as to build relationships and be a positive role model to program participants. Volunteer Commitment: Volunteers are asked to commit at least to one day (a minimum of 2 hours) each week.How To Apply
Please visit our Careers & Volunteer page for more details
Thank you for your interest in wanting to make a positive impact in your community!
If you have any questions please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
YMCA School Support
This daily after-school program focuses on academic support, social development and health and wellness. Children 8 to 12 years old have the chance to belong, grow, thrive, and lead in a positive environment with great role models. Kids can build friendships, improve their grades and develop a sense of belonging in school and the community. There is no fee to participate in this program.
For more information, contact the YMCA Outreach Manager at 403-537-1716.