HIRING: Camp Chief Hector YMCA Executive Chef
YMCA Calgary is actively building healthy communities – Join us in creating a better Calgary
YMCA Calgary opened its doors in 1902, since then we have evolved into a vibrant charitable organization where thousands of children, youth and adults access our programs and facilities. We are much more than a gym, pool, and recreational facility – we strive to adapt to community needs, and ensure that our programs and facilities can be accessed by all who need them. YMCA Calgary staff firmly believe that they are creating a positive impact in the community through their work at the Y. In our work we deliver health and wellness programs, community outreach, aboriginal programs, newcomer programs, day and overnight camping, outdoor schools, leadership development, childcare, and much more.
We serve diverse community needs through the Gray Family Eau Claire YMCA, Melcor YMCA at Crowfoot, Shawnessy YMCA, South Health Campus YMCA, Community YMCA, Saddletowne YMCA, and Camp Chief Hector YMCA… and we are only just getting started. In partnership with the City of Calgary, we will expand our impact operating new facilities in Quarry Park, Rocky Ridge, and Seton. The YMCA will also be operating a stand-alone childcare centre in Quarry Park to serve 348 children. These amazing new spaces will help us reach more people through our passionate volunteers, members, and staff.
How will you make an impact? Who will you become at YMCA Calgary?
We are currently seeking to fill the following position;
Camp Chief Hector YMCA
Posting Code: CCHY-INT-
Start Date: Immediate
Camp Chief Hector YMCA is a unique branch of YMCA Calgary located on a 1, 000 acre site in the heart of the Rocky Mountains. Camp programs emphasize community and values-based education, outdoor challenge, fun, individual growth, environmental stewardship, leadership development and service excellence. We provide Summer Camps, Outdoor Schools, weekend programs for adults and families, and meeting/event facilities.
What qualifications are we looking for?
At YMCA Calgary we strive to ensure our employees are a fit based on their strengths, interests, and future goals. The successful candidate will have the following;
- Minimum of five years’ experience working in kitchen management/leadership roles
- Completion of a Red Seal Certification
- Food and safety certificate
- Experience in training and development of kitchen teams
- Strong communication skills
- Excellent customer service
- Energetic and enthusiastic personality
- Basic proficiency in Excel, Word and Outlook
- Experience with digital food ordering and menu planning tools
- Current Standard First Aid and CPR C certification
- Evidence of a clear Police Information Check and Vulnerable Sector Search
- Three professional references
What does this role look like at YMCA Calgary?
This full-time position reports to the General Manager and is responsible for overseeing the daily food preparation in the two main dining lodges. Tasty, healthy food is the foundation of our participants’ experience at camp. We serve children, youth, families and adult client groups. The successful candidate must ensure that the dining lodges provide a variety of healthy food selections as well as quality service in a clean, safe environment. This position hires, trains and supervises upwards of 20 seasonal staff and 7 full-time staff and provides direction as needed. The Executive Chef manages a budget over $700,000. This position is part of our senior leadership team for the branch.
The Executive Chef will:
- Recruit, train, supervise and retain staff
- Oversee preparation of meals in accordance with established systems
- Plan meals, update recipes and keep food costs in line with budget
- Ensure standardized portions are adhered to and food waste is kept to a minimum
- Ensure all special dietary needs are met
- Ensure adequate storage of all food, supplies and maintain inventory
- Provide friendly, prompt customer service
- Ensure a high level of quality, cleanliness and safety in all food preparation
- Ensure food safety and that all staff follow safe food handling and sanitary procedures
- Interact and provide service to children, families, and other guests
Why should you join our team?
At YMCA Calgary we are passionate about our work and know that we are creating a positive impact in the community. Our staff feel welcomed from the first day they start and quickly feel a sense of belonging here at the Y. If you are looking to care deeply about your work, make the community a better place, and develop your leadership skills this is the place for you!
YMCA Calgary also offers multiple other perks and benefits;
- Complimentary YMCA Calgary membership including a linked membership for dependent children.
- Comprehensive health and dental benefits. Premiums paid in full by the Association.
- Pension plan with specified contribution matching by the Association.
- Anniversary flex day and gifts given to celebrate each year of employment.
- Program discounts
- Childcare discounts
- Ongoing leadership development and opportunities
- Leadership award opportunities
- Scholarship opportunities
- Paid recertification and training
- Longevity Awards celebrating years of service at Camp Chief Hector YMCA
- Salary: $50,000 – $58,000 year
What qualities do we look for in YMCA Calgary Staff?
Our staff model and are committed to the following competencies;
Developing Self and Others: Developing people with a view toward present and future capacity
Building Purposeful Relationships: Relating to people authentically with their best in mind.
Creating a Culture of Community: Gathering people to purpose and vision.
Making Intentional Impact: Intending to make a difference every day.
Thinking and Acting Strategically: Applying thoughts, words, and actions in service to the vision.
Applying Business Acumen: Demonstrating excellence in technical skills and stewarding the YMCA Business Model.
Innovating: Ability to know your environment, initiate and respond effectively to changing conditions.
Interested? It’s easy to apply!
Please send your resume and cover letter quoting posting code CCHY-INT- by October 10, 2017
YMCA Calgary Association Services
101 3 St. S.W.
Calgary, AB T2P 4G6
Fax: (403) 269-4661
YMCA Calgary is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants must have legal authorization to work in Canada by way of Canadian Citizenship, Permanent Residency or a valid Canadian work permit. YMCA Calgary is currently not engaged in international recruitment efforts as we are required to demonstrate that we have exhausted all means of recruitment both locally and nationally.
Potential candidates will only be contacted if selected for an interview.