YMCA Calgary is taking proactive steps to ensure the health and safety of all our program participants during the wildfire situation that has caused smoke and haze to settle over Calgary and area for an indeterminate period of time.
These precautions include:
- Appropriate revisions to programming, particular outdoor activities, at Camp Chief Hector YMCA, Camp Riveredge and at all our Centres of Community across the city
- Adjusting building systems to minimize the effects of particulates within facility air handling units
- Active monitoring of recommendations from Alberta Health Services, Alberta Environment and Park, Parks Canada and other agencies providing guidance during the situation
Through YMCA Calgary’s own health & safety policies, we have empowered our staff to employ their training and expertise to ensure that planned activities are fully considered in light of the ongoing situation. We are paying particular attention to the well-being of participants who have disclosed that they may have respiratory challenges.
Please don’t hesitate to ask your program lead or facility leadership should you have any questions about our response. We will also update our response to the situation as necessary through public channels, including YMCA Calgary’s Facebook and Twitter accounts.
YMCA Calgary also understands that many communities have been evacuated due to the wildfires, particularly in British Columbia.
In response, YMCAs in both B.C. and Alberta are opening their doors to people impacted by the wildfires. The YMCA has 27 health and fitness locations in Prince George, Kamloops, Victoria, Kelowna, Vancouver, Surrey, Calgary, Edmonton, Wood Buffalo, Lethbridge and Medicine Hat.
Evacuees simply need to visit any B.C. or Alberta YMCA with identification that includes their photo and home address to participate.
- Blog - Featured
- Camp Chief Hector YMCA
- Camp Riveredge YMCA
- Community YMCA
- Eau Claire YMCA
- Grade 6 Membership
- Melcor YMCA at Crowfoot
- Quarry Park Child Development Centre
- Remington YMCA
- Saddletowne YMCA
- Shane Homes YMCA at Rocky Ridge
- Shawnessy YMCA
- South Health Campus YMCA
- YMCA News