WHAT IS YOUTH ENGAGEMENT?
Youth engagement is the meaningful participation and sustained involvement of a young person in an activity, with a focus outside of him or herself. The kind of activity in which the youth is engaged can be almost anything – sports, the arts, music, volunteer work, politics, social activism – and it can occur in almost any kind of setting.
WHERE DOES IT HAPPEN?
One way of thinking of youth engagement is in terms of where it occurs. The following are some different kinds of activities, organizations, and contexts in which engagement can occur:
• community organizations (e.g., doing volunteer work helping people)
• youth organizations (e.g., help plan events, run programs)
• music (e.g., playing in a band, school orchestra)
• ethnic/cultural organizations
• social activism (e.g., working on an issue for social change)
• politics (e.g. volunteering for a political party)
If you are currently looking for a way to become engaged and are between the ages of 12 and 18 years old, please contact your local Branch of YMCA Calgary.
Youth Director, Saddletowne , YMCA Calgary
T: 403-237-2393 M: 403-537-2719 E: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Blog - Featured
- Camp Chief Hector YMCA
- Camp Riveredge YMCA
- Community YMCA
- Grade 6 Membership
- Gray Family Eau Claire YMCA
- Melcor YMCA at Crowfoot
- Quarry Park Child Development Centre
- Remington YMCA
- Saddletowne YMCA
- Shane Homes YMCA at Rocky Ridge
- Shawnessy YMCA
- South Health Campus YMCA
- Success Story
- Success Story - Featured
- YMCA News