Join us for a FREE facility wide ladies only event at the Saddletowne YMCA. This event is designed to introduce ladies in our community to the fun and healthy benefits of exercise, in a non-intimidating environment.
As this is a facility wide event, our facility will be restricted to women only during these hours.
Bring a friend or family member and join us for a fun night full of a variety of exciting activities!
Whether you are new to the gym or a seasoned gym-goer, beginning any new exercise program should start the same way – safely. There are a few different things you can do to ensure that you are working out in a safe manner.
1. Don’t copy what you see someone else doing. You don’t know why they’re doing it, You don’t know if they’re doing it correctly, or if they have modified it for any reason. Just because someone who looks “fit’ is doing it doesn’t mean it’s right for you and your body. Proper execution of an exercise trains the targeted muscle(s). Improper execution can create imbalances and lead to injury.
2. Ask us! Staff in gyms are extroverts, we want to talk to people. We thrive on sharing our energy and enthusiasm for wellness. We’re looking for you and want to answer your questions; we want to see you succeed.
3. Work on the basics – posture, body alignment, core engagement. If you want to do an exercise correctly, these are part of the package that reduces the risk of injury.
4. Get the Sets and Reps right. The number of repetitions within a set, and the number of sets completed makes a huge difference from one program to another. Learn what the difference is between low reps heavy weight, and high reps lower weight – dialing in the correct combo will guide you towards your ultimate goal.
5. Stretch! Most of us are in a rush and want to get as much packed into our workout time, then off we go to the next part of our busy days. Take the time to cool down and stretch, it increases range of motion, reduces soreness in the day(s) to come, and reduces risk for injury.
The next YMCA Community Wellness Day is November 21!
Every YMCA Location will have free public access on this day. Come for a swim, shoot some hoops or use our cardio and strength areas.
All Sport One City
YMCA locations will also be participating in All Sport One City, a Sport Calgary and City of Calgary initiative to promote getting active! Check out the schedules for more information on programming and events.
Join us on Sunday, April 12 for public facility access to your local YMCA!
All YMCA Calgary locations will have free, open access to the community.
We hope to see you there!
South Health Campus YMCA and the Wellness Centre is running a 3-Day Health and Wellness Expo on September 4-6!
Bring your whole family and come join us for various fun activities that promote healthy living.
- Thursday, September 4 | 3-7pm
- Friday, September 5 | 1:30-7pm
- Saturday, September 6 | 8am-3pm
- YMCA Spin Challenge
- ATCO Blue Flame Cooking Demo
- Wellness Exhibition Fair
- Soccer Tournament
- Camp Chief Hector YMCA
- Camp Riveredge YMCA
- Community YMCA
- Grade 6 Membership
- Gray Family Eau Claire YMCA
- Melcor YMCA at Crowfoot
- Quarry Park Child Development Centre
- Remington YMCA
- Saddletowne YMCA
- Shane Homes YMCA at Rocky Ridge
- Shawnessy YMCA
- South Health Campus YMCA
- YMCA News