Hey, Grade Sixers!
Did you know that just by being in Grade Six, you get a FREE YMCA membership? That means that you can go to any YMCA in the city, and get in for free. This membership lasts for an entire year! It started on September 1st, and can be used by you until August 31st – that’s about 1 week before you start grade 7.
With your membership, you can go to any Y and use the pool and gymnasium. Each branch is different, but some of the extras that you can use include: squash courts, rock climbing walls, dance studios and youth rooms. Also, you will be able to come to any of our “Flames Fridays” and participate in the activities we have running there.
At Eau Claire, our Flames Fridays run from 2:00-10:00 PM every Friday. These Fridays are kind of like Teen Nights, but they are much longer and are open to all youth – not just teens. This means that you can come with your friends and drop in on any of our activities. At Eau Claire, you can expect to find things like:
- Take a look at SHINE
- Youth in the Arts (5:00-6:00)
- Hip Hop and Latin Freestyle Dancing (6:30-7:30)
Flames Fridays are a really great way to connect with other kids your age, and learn about all of the things you can do at your branch.
On top of all of that, there are some Free Grade Six programs that have been made just for you! Here at Eau Claire, we have some drop-in things like:
- Theatre and Vlogging (where you can practice your acting and then use our props and cameras to make your own videos)
- Open Gym Games (where you can learn lots of new activities)
- Board Game Café (to play things like Magic the Gathering and other games)
We also have some registered programs which mean you have to either talk to somebody in the branch (front desk) or go online to say you would like be a part of the program. Our free programs that grade sixes can do are:
- Active Y Kids (up to age 11)
- Adventurers (Leadership for grades 5 and 6)
- SHINE (Working out your body)
- Youth Running Club
If any of these things sound interesting you, you should drop by the branch to register for your membership. You need to make sure you bring a parent or guardian with you. They will have to sign some papers that say they are ok with you having a membership. All you need to do is go to the front desk with your guardian and proof that you are in grade 6. Most families use their Grade 5 report cards, but if you don’t have that, you can always get a letter from your teacher, or use something else like a Patrol Card. You can really use anything, as long as it says:
- Your Name (i.e. John Short)
- Your grade (i.e. Grade 6)
- The School Year (i.e. 2014-2015)
Again, this is all FREE!! And it’s super easy to sign up for! We’ll see you at the Y!!
- Blog - Featured
- Camp Chief Hector YMCA
- Camp Riveredge YMCA
- Community YMCA
- Grade 6 Membership
- Gray Family Eau Claire YMCA
- Melcor YMCA at Crowfoot
- Quarry Park Child Development Centre
- Remington YMCA
- Saddletowne YMCA
- Shane Homes YMCA at Rocky Ridge
- Shawnessy YMCA
- South Health Campus YMCA
- Success Story
- Success Story - Featured
- YMCA News