Visit the Saddletowne YMCA Saturday, December 19th from 1:00-4:00 PM for our Community Wellness Day. There will be games, activities and more throughout the afternoon, and access is FREE for everyone.
Click here for a full list of activities, and don’t forget to bring your bathing suit!
Grade 6 Winter Wonderland Event
On Saturday, December 12 from 1:00-3:00 pm, join us at Crowfoot YMCA for a Grade 6 Winter Wonderland Event. We will do winter-themed crafts, cozy up with some hot chocolate, and play winter-themed games. Depending on the weather, we may even head outdoors to play in the snow so come dressed in warm clothes!
When? Saturday, December 12 from 1:00-3:00 pm
Where? Crowfoot YMCA
What? A free Grade 6 event
How do I register? Please register on line or in person at Crowfoot YMCA with the barcode number 106196.
Help us Bring Holiday Cheer to a Family This Year
Every year approaching Christmas, YMCA Calgary helps many families from our YMCA programs by coming together to purchase gifts for families in need.
This week, you will see different displays pop up in each YMCA branch. The displays will contain details about each family (genders and ages) and a listing of their needs and suggested gift ideas.
Here’s how you can help:
1. Check the display for each family’s needs or gift suggestions
2. Take the tag(s) that describes the item you would like to donate.
3. Buy the gift(s).
4. Bring your tag and unwrapped item to Member Services.
5. YMCA staff will wrap and deliver gifts to the families in time for Christmas.
The families the YMCA helps are gathered from several Community YMCA Programs including YMAP (YMCA Achievement Program), Aboriginal Programs and Services, LINC (Language Instruction for Newcomers to Canada), and Outreach.
Thanks very much for helping out in your community and let the spirit of giving begin!
For more information or to donate, contact your YMCA Branch today.
*Please note: All 2015 Adopt a Family families have been selected.
This festive season, give someone the gift that keeps on giving!
Looking for a unique gift this year for stocking stuffers, teachers, employees, neighbors, family, friends and that hard-to-shop-for person on your list? YMCA Calgary has many options that will come in handy after indulging in the holiday season:
1. Drop-In Punch Cards
A Punch Card allows guests to drop-in, use and reload at their convenience, without having to purchase individual drop-in passes each visit, so they can enjoy more time at the Y.
Purchase a 10-Visit Punch Card for the Price of 9!
- Adult (18Y+): $120
- Senior (65+): $67.71
- Student (18-25 with ID): $81.43
- Youth (12-17): $67.71
- Child (0-10): $40.29
- No Expiry Date
- GST not included
2. Gift Cards
A YMCA Gift Card can be used towards any program or service at the YMCA including membership, massage services (available at Eau Claire YMCA) a summer camp week, babysitting services, personal training, swimming lessons, and any YMCA program.
- Available in any denominations
- No expiry date
3. Charitable Giving
Can’t find a unique gift for the person who has everything? Donate to YMCA Strong Kids Campaign on their behalf.
Visit Member Services at your YMCA for more information on any of these gift-giving ideas.
YMCA Calgary has been chosen as the charity of choice for ‘Twas the Night, Calgary’s largest holiday celebration and after-hours shopping event!
‘Twas the Night will be held on November 27 at the downtown shopping centre, the CORE, and all donations collected will benefit YMCA Strong Kids.
Kick off the Christmas season and enjoy a fun night of shopping filled with:
- special deals from retailers
- a performance from Juno nominated artist Matt Dusk and his big band
- a walk down a red-carpet hosted by eTalk’s Tanya Kim
- FREE parking
- Spectacular tree-lighting with special lighting effects and pyrotechnics (including a 45-foot Christmas tree!)
|When:||Thursday, November 27, 2014 | 6:30 p.m. – 10:00 p.m.|
|Where:||The CORE (TD Square/Holt Renfrew) Valet entrance at 751 3 St SW (Remember, the valet parking is FREE!)|
|How:||RSVP at coreshopping.ca/events|
|What to wear:||Feel free to dress holiday retro chic a la the glamorous 1960s. Prizes will be awarded for the most impressive retro-themed attire.|
The event is open to all, and is free to attend, although donations are encouraged. Donations can be made online when you RSVP, or in person at the door.
Last year ‘Twas the Night raised over $60,000 for local non-profit organizations. Let’s see if we can beat that record to help even more Calgary kids get a YMCA experience through the YMCA Strong Kids Campaign!
Every year YMCA Calgary participates in the Adopt a Family program. This year, once again, your generosity astounded us.
Thank you for giving your time and care to purchasing gifts from families from our membership, childcare, and wider Calgary community. Our families received an abundance of gifts to put under their trees. From mittens and hats, winter coats and snowpants to grocery and movie theatre giftcards to art supplies and e-readers – children and parents unwrapped smiles and laughter this holiday season.
Your support filled needs in our community and brought joy to adults and kids alike. Thank you for playing a part in bringing holiday cheer to our neighbours and friends.
It’s time to distress before the holidays!
Shawnessy’s own Stacey M will be teaching a drop-in Yoga Nidra, deep meditation class on Thursday December 19th from 7:15-815pm in the studio located upstairs at the Shawnessy branch. Please come early to make sure you get a spot!
Tis the season to celebrate the joy of giving from the heart. Bring warm holiday cheer to children and families through the Adopt a Family program.
Every year YMCA Calgary participates in Adopt a Family, allowing our staff, members and guests to provide meaningful gifts to families who need a little help during the holiday season. It provides much needed items to children and families in our community.
Every branch has family units listed by age and gender. The Adopt a Family displays in each branch have gift tags with the age, gender, family, and suggested gift item. All you need to do is take a tag, go shopping, and bring the unwrapped gift and tag back to your branch. YMCA staff will then wrap and deliver the presents just before Christmas.
These donations bring smiles to the faces of parents and children, providing happy holiday memories.
For more information or to donate, contact your YMCA Branch today.
Each branch has a deadline for gift drop-off:
Camp Chief Hector – December 16, noon
Crowfoot – December 19, noon
Eau Claire – December 19, noon
Saddletown – December 18, 10am
Shawnessy – December 9, noon (complete)
South Health Campus – December 19, 4pm
Thank you for your generosity!
The weather this week certainly put a damper on the winter fun for Saddletowne YMCA’s Preschool Department, but we battled back with some wonderful indoor crafts!
We are also hosting some other awesome indoor events at the Saddletowne YMCA. Check out:
Elves at Play: Get your Christmas Shopping done while your children (3-12yrs) swim, craft, and play games with the wonderful Youth and Preschool staff at Saddletowne. Saturday December 14th from 1:00pm t0 5:00pm.
Members: 25$ Non-members 35$
Crafty Kids Workshop: Does your child (3-12yrs) like to do crafts? Sign your child(ren) up to create an exciting holiday crafted gift, wrapping paper included, with the help of the great YMCA volunteers and staff. Tuesday December 10th from 6:00pm to 7:30pm.
Members: 5$ Non-members: 10$
To sign up, contact the Saddletowne YMCA at 403.237.2393
It’s that time of year again, when goodies begin showing up everywhere we look; the staff room at work, festive coffees, holiday parties, and gifts of decadent nature start arriving. It’s easy to indulge bit by bit, and with the added disruption from our wellness routine celebrating with loved ones, suddenly the fear of facing the January scale is staring us in the face once again.
So what is one to do? Avoidance isn’t always feasible, we all want to get a little bit festive this time of year. Try some of these tips and tricks to minimize the damage and make the transition back to your usual routine that much easier.
1. Choose a Smaller Plate. We will tend to fill our plate at least 3/4 full, no matter what the size. Choosing a smaller plate right at the beginning will help to reduce the number of unintended calories from unintentionally landing on our bodies. If you’re hosting, offer smaller plates to your guests.
2. Make Time to Move. It might not be at your Y, it might not be at home, but find the time and space to get a workout in on a regular basis. As your routine changes for these few weeks, keeping your level of conditioning in a maintenance pattern can make a huge difference. Don’t park yourself in a comfy seat, be social and keep moving. Dance, dance, dance at your holiday parties!
3. Live The One-Bite Rule. When grazing on assorted goodies, decide if it’s worth it. If it’s not, don’t just eat it because you took it! As a wise friend once said to me, it’s either going in the waste or on the waist. Choose wisely, and don’t be afraid to discard.
4. Go Green. Whether its at the holiday party buffet or an assortment of snacks at a friend or family members, load up at least half of your plate with salads, fruits, and veggies. This may just keep you away from those decadent treats. As a holiday party host, try to offer more healthy options as part of your spread! Try serving items that you don’t necessarily care for yourself, it will help you stay away from some not-so-healthy offerings.
5. Try To Keep the Holiday “Cheer” to a Minimum. Alcohol actually has a significantly high number of calories; 7cal/gram to be exact. To put that into context, both Carbohydrates and Protein offer 4cal/gram, and Fat is 9cal/gram. Be aware, and please drink responsibly – for so many reasons.
For more information, visit www.madd.ca
6. Relax. One of the nicest parts of the holidays is that we usually have a little bit more opportunity to catch up on sleep. This is actually quite important to our stress reduction and overall wellness. Go to bed early, sleep in, and Enjoy!
Happy Holidays to You and Yours!
- Blog - Featured
- Camp Chief Hector YMCA
- Camp Riveredge YMCA
- Community YMCA
- Grade 6 Membership
- Gray Family Eau Claire YMCA
- Melcor YMCA at Crowfoot
- Quarry Park Child Development Centre
- Remington YMCA
- Saddletowne YMCA
- Shane Homes YMCA at Rocky Ridge
- Shawnessy YMCA
- South Health Campus YMCA
- Success Story
- Success Story - Featured
- YMCA News