Whether you are new to the gym or a seasoned gym-goer, beginning any new exercise program should start the same way – safely. There are a few different things you can do to ensure that you are working out in a safe manner.
1. Don’t copy what you see someone else doing. You don’t know why they’re doing it, You don’t know if they’re doing it correctly, or if they have modified it for any reason. Just because someone who looks “fit’ is doing it doesn’t mean it’s right for you and your body. Proper execution of an exercise trains the targeted muscle(s). Improper execution can create imbalances and lead to injury.
2. Ask us! Staff in gyms are extroverts, we want to talk to people. We thrive on sharing our energy and enthusiasm for wellness. We’re looking for you and want to answer your questions; we want to see you succeed.
3. Work on the basics – posture, body alignment, core engagement. If you want to do an exercise correctly, these are part of the package that reduces the risk of injury.
4. Get the Sets and Reps right. The number of repetitions within a set, and the number of sets completed makes a huge difference from one program to another. Learn what the difference is between low reps heavy weight, and high reps lower weight – dialing in the correct combo will guide you towards your ultimate goal.
5. Stretch! Most of us are in a rush and want to get as much packed into our workout time, then off we go to the next part of our busy days. Take the time to cool down and stretch, it increases range of motion, reduces soreness in the day(s) to come, and reduces risk for injury.
Looking for an exciting Friday Night Activity? Why not register for our Grade 6 Dodgeball Tournament in March!
Teams of 6 will compete against each-other in 3 minute rounds to battle for the Ultimate Title. Participants are welcome to sign up as a team or as individuals.
All participants will receive a participation acknowledgement.
The tournament will run 6:00-8:30 PM on Friday, March 4th. Four different, yet fast-paced variations of dodgeball will be played throughout the night. Instructions will be explained on the day of the tournament but are also available below.
If you are interested in joining us for this challenge, you can click below to download our dodgeball registration form and rules.
Be sure to drop by your home branch to hand in your form and register.
Alternatively, you can contact your Branch youth team for more information.
Bring your game face and we will see you there!
Please complete the medical form and return to your Branch Youth Team no later than Wednesday the 28th of October 2015!
Come to our community wellness day!
Saturday October 3rd 2015 – 9:30am – 1pm
Non-profits and health & wellness businesses will have booths set up in the common area through the facility.
There will be a seminar focused on seniors as well as teddy bear activities throughout the complex for younger children, including the outdoor courtyard led by YMCA.
There will also be free admission to the YMCA.
Please note that registration is required for the senior events (call 403 290 5755) and those attending the teddy bear events should bring their favorite doll!
Hope to see you there!
GIANT mini Golf and Outdoor Games!
May 30 2:00pm-4:00pm
Ever tried playing mini golf with a hockey stick? What if your golf ball was the size of a dodgeball? Try out a new kind of mini golf with the YMCA GIANT mini golf and outdoor games! We will have spoon and egg races, three legged races, and many more challenges to entertain!
Youth 8-13 years are invited to participate, please note we will be outside and prepare for the weather with sunscreen, runners, and water.
Please register online or at the Crowfoot YMCA front desk with the Barcode #106168
This is a free event for members, non-members need only pay the YMCA drop-in fee.
YMCA MEGATHON officially kicks-off the 2015 YMCA Strong Kids Campaign at all YMCA Calgary locations! With the goal of making all Calgary kids healthier, you can have loads of fun and directly support children and youth in the community to have a YMCA experience.
Activities will vary from branch to branch so if you’re super keen you can even participate at more than one location!
- Camp Chief Hector YMCA
- Camp Riveredge YMCA
- Community YMCA
- Grade 6 Membership
- Gray Family Eau Claire YMCA
- Melcor YMCA at Crowfoot
- Quarry Park Child Development Centre
- Remington YMCA
- Saddletowne YMCA
- Shane Homes YMCA at Rocky Ridge
- Shawnessy YMCA
- South Health Campus YMCA
- YMCA News