Whether you are new to the gym or a seasoned gym-goer, beginning any new exercise program should start the same way – safely. There are a few different things you can do to ensure that you are working out in a safe manner.
1. Don’t copy what you see someone else doing. You don’t know why they’re doing it, You don’t know if they’re doing it correctly, or if they have modified it for any reason. Just because someone who looks “fit’ is doing it doesn’t mean it’s right for you and your body. Proper execution of an exercise trains the targeted muscle(s). Improper execution can create imbalances and lead to injury.
2. Ask us! Staff in gyms are extroverts, we want to talk to people. We thrive on sharing our energy and enthusiasm for wellness. We’re looking for you and want to answer your questions; we want to see you succeed.
3. Work on the basics – posture, body alignment, core engagement. If you want to do an exercise correctly, these are part of the package that reduces the risk of injury.
4. Get the Sets and Reps right. The number of repetitions within a set, and the number of sets completed makes a huge difference from one program to another. Learn what the difference is between low reps heavy weight, and high reps lower weight – dialing in the correct combo will guide you towards your ultimate goal.
5. Stretch! Most of us are in a rush and want to get as much packed into our workout time, then off we go to the next part of our busy days. Take the time to cool down and stretch, it increases range of motion, reduces soreness in the day(s) to come, and reduces risk for injury.
Calling all Grade 6!
We will be hosting our second Calgary Flames Grade 6 member tournament.
Registration for this event will Open on the 23th of November 2015, You can call your branch and register with member services or email your branches youth team. .
Course Code #107177
Must Be Available to play! Transport arrangements can be made from your home branch.
Please complete the medical form and return to your Branch Youth Team no later than Wednesday the 28th of October 2015!
Come to our community wellness day!
Saturday October 3rd 2015 – 9:30am – 1pm
Non-profits and health & wellness businesses will have booths set up in the common area through the facility.
There will be a seminar focused on seniors as well as teddy bear activities throughout the complex for younger children, including the outdoor courtyard led by YMCA.
There will also be free admission to the YMCA.
Please note that registration is required for the senior events (call 403 290 5755) and those attending the teddy bear events should bring their favorite doll!
Hope to see you there!
Come along to our Annual Boorific Bash Saturday October 31st 2015 6-8pm!
Lots of fun seasonal festivities for the whole family throughout the facility !
- Blog - Featured
- Camp Chief Hector YMCA
- Camp Riveredge YMCA
- Community YMCA
- Grade 6 Membership
- Gray Family Eau Claire YMCA
- Melcor YMCA at Crowfoot
- Quarry Park Child Development Centre
- Remington YMCA
- Saddletowne YMCA
- Shane Homes YMCA at Rocky Ridge
- Shawnessy YMCA
- South Health Campus YMCA
- YMCA News