Knowledge is Power.
Educate yourself in the area in which your goals are seeded. The more you know means the more empowerment you have, the more control over actions you express, the better chance of success you will have.
Here are a few fun facts to get you started:
– 1 pound of fat = 3500 Calories. Reducing your caloric intake by 3500kcal/week will allow you to lose 1 pound. Increasing your activity level by another 3500kcal will up that to 2 pounds.
– 1-2 pounds a week is the healthy and maintainable rate for weight loss. Anything more is not targeting body fat, simply depleting the body of essential minerals and hydration.
– There are 1.6 kilometers in every mile you walk or run.
– Stretching after your workout for a minimum of 20 seconds/muscle group will reduce soreness and tension the day after.
– The soreness after workout number one reduced each time you work that muscle group out. If you start/stop over and over again, you will feel that level of soreness every time you re-start your program.
– Your body sees benefits as soon as 20 minutes after you quit smoking.
– If you eat too little, your body actually metabolizes muscle mass and essential energy for body function.
– Muscle weighs more than fat; don’t focus on the number! It’s about body composition and how you feel.
– Canada’s Food Guide to healthy eating is the only nutritional plan or “diet” you need (unless otherwise stated by your physician). People can eat well and still eat too much, check it out to learn about proper portion sizes.
– Regular physical activity will: allow you to sleep better, increase your self confidence, decrese stress, and reduce your risk for chronic conditions such as diabetes, cancer and heart disease.
- Blog - Featured
- Camp Chief Hector YMCA
- Camp Riveredge YMCA
- Community YMCA
- Grade 6 Membership
- Gray Family Eau Claire YMCA
- Melcor YMCA at Crowfoot
- Quarry Park Child Development Centre
- Remington YMCA
- Saddletowne YMCA
- Shane Homes YMCA at Rocky Ridge
- Shawnessy YMCA
- South Health Campus YMCA
- Success Story
- Success Story - Featured
- YMCA News