Fitness tips for women over 40: Why fitness counts
Regular physical activity is crucial for all women (pre, peri, during or post menopausal). Consider what physical activity can do for you.
Whether you’ve exercised faithfully for years or you haven’t been physically active at all, physical activity offers many benefits, especially women! For example, regular physical activity can:
- Prevent weight gain. Women tend to lose muscle mass and gain abdominal fat during and after menopause. Even slight increases in physical activity can help prevent weight gain.
- Reduce the risk of breast cancer. Physical activity during and after menopause can help you lose excess weight or maintain a healthy weight, which may offer protection from breast cancer.
- Strengthen your bones. Physical activity can slow bone loss after menopause, which lowers the risk of fractures and osteoporosis.
- Reduce the risk of other diseases. During and after menopause, the risk of various chronic conditions — including cardiovascular disease and type 2 diabetes — increases. Regular physical activity can counter these risks.
- Boost your mood. Physical activity can improve your psychological health at any stage of life.
Physical activity isn’t a proven way to reduce menopausal symptoms, such as hot flashes and sleep disturbances. For some women, however, regular physical activity , pre, during and after menopause seems to relieve stress and improve quality of life.
Join Cathi for this multilevel Metabolic Conditioning class, Tuesdays 9:30-10:30am and put the fun back in fitness! Take time to laugh, learn and love working out with women who may be or have experienced some of the same symptoms as you.
Tuesdays 9:30-10:30am – April 2nd
Call 403-781-1684 for more information and to register today!
Source – Eau Claire YMCA Staff
Resources – Mayo Clinic, www.mayoclinic.com
- Blog - Featured
- Camp Chief Hector YMCA
- Camp Riveredge YMCA
- Community YMCA
- Grade 6 Membership
- Gray Family Eau Claire YMCA
- Melcor YMCA at Crowfoot
- Quarry Park Child Development Centre
- Remington YMCA
- Saddletowne YMCA
- Shane Homes YMCA at Rocky Ridge
- Shawnessy YMCA
- South Health Campus YMCA
- Success Story
- Success Story - Featured
- YMCA News