May 5 is Free Fifth Day at all YMCA locations in Calgary!
On the fifth of every month, members can bring one guest for free-access all day long! There are lots of stats out there that show having a workout buddy is one of the best ways to stay on track with your fitness routine. There are a number of reasons why:
- Motivation. We all have on and off days. Days you don’t feel like hitting the gym, your partner will likely be primed to go and get you there. Plus we people tend to like a little competition – driving us to work harder and challenge ourselves.
- Results. With a partner, most people push themselves harder. That not only means increasingly the likelihood of hitting your health goals, but getting there much faster than if you were on your own.
- Alternatives. We all think a little different than each other. Your workout buddy may offer suggestions for alternative exercises or training routines. Things you may not have come up with on your own. (This is also a great reason to get a personal trainer.)
- Spotting. Your workout buddy can help keep you safe by spotting you on equipment, allowing you to further challenge your abilities.
- Partner moves. There are lots of exercises that can be done with a partner, like doing sit-ups and passing a medicine ball between each time you both reach the centre.
- Companionship. Everyone loves a little company. Longer workouts can get tedious but having a friend around makes the time pass much faster.
There is a lot to do at YMCA. Come for a swim, gather a group for a game of basketball, take a stroll around our indoor running track or use our cardio and strength equipment.
- Blog - Featured
- Camp Chief Hector YMCA
- Camp Riveredge YMCA
- Community YMCA
- Grade 6 Membership
- Gray Family Eau Claire YMCA
- Melcor YMCA at Crowfoot
- Quarry Park Child Development Centre
- Remington YMCA
- Saddletowne YMCA
- Shane Homes YMCA at Rocky Ridge
- Shawnessy YMCA
- South Health Campus YMCA
- Success Story
- Success Story - Featured
- YMCA News