YMCA Calgary supports parents/guardians to meet their health and wellness goals by offering a Babysitting Service at each of our Health, Fitness and Recreation branches. You are able to leave your child (aged 6 weeks – 10 years) for up to 2.5 hours while you are using the facility. Appointments can be booked either in person or by calling the branch of your choice.
The Babysitting Area is often a child’s first introduction to the YMCA and we want it to be a positive one. By considering some of the following tips you can help to ensure that your child has a great experience, and you have a worry-free workout:
- allow time for drop off and pick up of your child
- let the caregiver(s) know about your child’s needs
- label all belongings left for your child in the babysitting area
- ensure your child is able to play and engage with the caregiver prior to it being time for eating or a diaper change. Like you, your child considers these actions personal and he/she will be most comfortable if the first interaction with a caregiver is less intimate.
- learn what your child likes to do in the Babysitting Area and help them get settled into that activity or share the information with the caregiver(s)
YMCA Calgary staff and volunteers want your child to be comfortable and happy within the Babysitting Area. They enjoy working with children and love to provide them with the care and attention they require. There are times, however, when a child is not settling well into the area. If this occurs, you will be asked to return promptly to the Babysitting Area. At that time, you and the caregiver can discuss how to best support your child. This may include:
- settling your child and returning to your workout
- canceling the remainder of your appointment and taking your child with you
By putting the needs of the child first, we ensure children have positive experiences that support them in their growth and development.
If you have questions about the Babysitting Area please speak with the caregivers. If you require additional information, or have a concern about the Babysitting Area, please ask to speak with a Supervisor.
- Blog - Featured
- Camp Chief Hector YMCA
- Camp Riveredge YMCA
- Community YMCA
- Grade 6 Membership
- Gray Family Eau Claire YMCA
- Melcor YMCA at Crowfoot
- Quarry Park Child Development Centre
- Remington YMCA
- Saddletowne YMCA
- Shane Homes YMCA at Rocky Ridge
- Shawnessy YMCA
- South Health Campus YMCA
- Success Story
- Success Story - Featured
- YMCA News