March 14, 2020
Every day, we are reminded of the changing landscape as the world deals with coronavirus (COVID-19.) Throughout this period, YMCA Calgary has closely followed guidance from the World Health Organization, Health Canada and the Government of Alberta.
Our YMCA facilities are gathering places for community life all over Calgary and in the Bow Valley. Our YMCA is guided by the core values of honesty, respect, responsibility and caring. It is through this lens we are approaching this evolving situation and working to ensure the YMCA continues to be safe and welcoming.
As a precaution to help limit the spread of the virus and support the community’s efforts to promote physical distancing, YMCA Calgary is increasing its response in the following ways:
Membership Hold Option
- Our flexible membership hold option, which allows members to suspend/place memberships on hold for up to 2 months, has been extended to 3 months.
Health, Fitness and Aquatics
- South Health Campus YMCA location ONLY is closed until further notice. This is a request from Alberta Health Services to limit non-essential access to its facilities. Learn more here.
- We will be reducing capacity in all drop-in classes to maintain appropriate physical distancing for participants.
- We have indefinitely closed all YMCA hot tubs, steam rooms and climbing walls as a precaution.
- We have cancelled all AquaFit and Gentle Fitness classes until further notice as these are popular with seniors, a more vulnerable population to the virus.
- Fitness equipment has been managed to maintain physical distancing. This will mean turning off some pieces of equipment, as an example.
- All birthday parties booked at YMCAs have been cancelled until the end of April. We will be in contact with you to schedule a new date or to arrange a refund. No further birthday party bookings will be taken prior to May 1.
Facility Rentals (including ice, pool, gym, theatre, meeting rooms and Camp Chief Hector YMCA)
- All events over 250 participants (including any spectators) are cancelled. We will be in contact with you to schedule a new date or arrange a refund.
- For events under 250 participants, we have relaxed our cancellation policy for March and April. All rentals may be rebooked without penalty, or cancelled with a full refund.
- Rentals for May and beyond remain unchanged at this time (existing rules apply). This will be reviewed in early April and further guidance provided at that time.
Here at the YMCA we are:
- Encouraging frequent hand washing.
- Encouraging cough and sneeze etiquette.
- Cleaning common areas more frequently and deepening our efforts in cleaning and disinfecting surfaces with hospital grade cleaning products.
- Cancelling all domestic and international work-related travel for YMCA staff.
Please help us by:
- Staying home if you or your family members are sick (this includes if you are taking medications to mask symptoms such as fever, coughing or shortness of breath) and calling 8-1-1 (Health Link.) While COVID-19 is mild in most cases, people with underlying medical conditions are at most risk. While you may be okay, others in our YMCA community may not. We ask that you consider the health and well-being of not only yourself, but those around you.
- Washing your hands before and after entering program areas, after using equipment or before sending your child to a program.
- Covering your cough or sneeze with a tissue or your elbow, and disposing of tissues immediately.
- Placing dirty towels in the towel bins.
- Wiping down machines and equipment with disinfectant before and after each use.
If you would like more information on the Coronavirus, please refer to the Government of Alberta website at https://www.alberta.ca/coronavirus-info-for-albertans.aspx
Thank you for your commitment and support for our YMCA team members working in our communities every day. We will get through this, and we’ll do it as a community.
Yours in wellness,
President and CEO
- Blog - Featured
- Camp Chief Hector YMCA
- Camp Riveredge YMCA
- Community YMCA
- Grade 6 Membership
- Gray Family Eau Claire YMCA
- Melcor YMCA at Crowfoot
- Quarry Park Child Development Centre
- Remington YMCA
- Saddletowne YMCA
- Shane Homes YMCA at Rocky Ridge
- Shawnessy YMCA
- South Health Campus YMCA
- YMCA News