Good question. While the answer varies depending on individual goals and circumstances, these general guidelines can be helpful for your good health.
- Adults should accumulate 150 minutes per week of moderate intensity activity
- The activity can be one continuous session of 30 – 60 minutes, or multiple bouts of at least 10 minutes
- Adults should train each muscle group 2 – 3 times per week, using a variety of exercises and equipment
- Muscles need at least 48 hours of rest in between sessions to recover.
- For general fitness, 30 – 90 seconds or rest in between sets (helpful hint: try a Muscle Works class!)
- Don’t skip this! Work into your program at least 2 – 3 times a week to improve range of motion
- Stretches should be done after your workouts so the muscles are warm, hold each stretch for 15 – 30 seconds.
Use these guidelines for a great workout. If you’d like to seek some specific advice, there’s no better time than now to invest in personal training!
Shawnessy YMCA Strength and Conditioning
- Blog - Featured
- Camp Chief Hector YMCA
- Camp Riveredge YMCA
- Community YMCA
- Grade 6 Membership
- Gray Family Eau Claire YMCA
- Melcor YMCA at Crowfoot
- Quarry Park Child Development Centre
- Remington YMCA
- Saddletowne YMCA
- Shane Homes YMCA at Rocky Ridge
- Shawnessy YMCA
- South Health Campus YMCA
- Success Story
- Success Story - Featured
- YMCA News