As the weather gets a little bit cooler this fall, a lot of people are returning to the YMCA gyms, studios, and their favorite fitness classes to keep up their wellness routine. As our classes begin to thrive, please take a moment to reacquaint yourself with five Fitness Class Etiquette Tips to make the experience smooth for everyone.
1. Arrive on Time – joining a class late* can be both distracting and unsafe. Please respect your fellow attendees as well as your instructor and arrive to classes a bit early or right on time. This will also allow you a proper warm-up, reducing your chance of injury. *If lateness is unavoidable, please go to the back of the class.
2. Choose Proper Footwear – closed toed shoes (running shoes, cross-trainers etc…) will provide a non-slip grip on the floor and any equipment utilized in your class. Ensure that your footwear is clean of all dirt and debris. If you wouldn’t wear it in your house, please don’t wear it in our workout areas.
3. Make your Workout Your Own – The instructor is there to guide you through YOUR workout; listen to your body and modify as you see fit. If you are going to modify your workout significantly from the instructor’s planned program, please move to the back of the room as to not distract others from the instructor’s guidance.
4. Socializing – should be done either before or after the class. Talking throughout the class can be viewed as disrespect to not only the other participants, but to the instructor as well. If you can talk, you’re not working hard enough!
5. Stay for the Whole Class – Flexibility is a large part of your overall wellness! Be sure to take the time to stretch out the muscles you’re worked. Not only will it reduce soreness in the day(s) after, but it will reduce risk for injury down the road.
- Blog - Featured
- Camp Chief Hector YMCA
- Camp Riveredge YMCA
- Community YMCA
- Grade 6 Membership
- Gray Family Eau Claire YMCA
- Melcor YMCA at Crowfoot
- Quarry Park Child Development Centre
- Remington YMCA
- Saddletowne YMCA
- Shane Homes YMCA at Rocky Ridge
- Shawnessy YMCA
- South Health Campus YMCA
- Success Story
- Success Story - Featured
- YMCA News