When the needs of a child guide parents and caregivers in their actions, it helps children to have positive experiences that support them in their growth and development.
YMCA Calgary aims to provide your child with a safe, caring and stimulating environment – one filled with lots of opportunities for them to explore and learn as they play.
We know that it is very important to have open, positive relationships between parents and caregivers so communication is effective. This allows children to make connections between their home and the broader community while gaining an understanding that the adults in their life are working together… for them!
YMCA Child Minding areas are places children become very familiar with as they gain confidence for being away from their parent. In the Child Minding area they develop relationships of their own with other children as well as the staff and volunteer caregivers. As a values based organization we pride ourselves on providing opportunities for children to learn about, and practice behaviours of, respect, responsibility, caring and honesty. In the child minding areas you can see this –
- When children observe caregivers and parents warmly greeting and calmly speaking with one another
- When check in and sign out processes are smooth and worry free for children, parents and caregivers
- When children clean up the toy or piece of equipment they were playing with prior to leaving the area
- When caregivers let the phone go to voice mail while they play and engage with children. Messages can be picked up in a few moments, a wonderful play moment shouldn’t be interrupted
- When a parent or caregiver voices a concern to the other adult and they hear each other out prior to determining how they can best work together to support the child
YMCA staff and volunteers want all children to feel comfortable and happy within the Child Minding area. They truly enjoy working with the children and are committed to providing them with the care and attention they need.
For more information about YMCA Child Minding areas visit our website at https://www.ymcacalgary.org/childminding/
Reminder: Child Minding Block Booking for winter 2016 Session (Jan 4 – Mar 20, 2016)
YMCA Members Book beginning Monday, November 23, 2015
Non-Members Book beginning Monday, December 7, 2015
- Blog - Featured
- Camp Chief Hector YMCA
- Camp Riveredge YMCA
- Community YMCA
- Grade 6 Membership
- Gray Family Eau Claire YMCA
- Melcor YMCA at Crowfoot
- Quarry Park Child Development Centre
- Remington YMCA
- Saddletowne YMCA
- Shane Homes YMCA at Rocky Ridge
- Shawnessy YMCA
- South Health Campus YMCA
- Success Story
- Success Story - Featured
- YMCA News