YMCA Calgary and the Flames Foundation for Life are excited to announce a partnership to provide free YMCA memberships to all City of Calgary youth registered in Grade 6.
Grade 6 Membership Benefits:
- Free membership for grade 6 school year
- Access to all 5 city-wide YMCA Calgary locations
- Access to no-cost programs such as Adventurers (leadership training including character development, communication, volunteerism, and fundraising) and Active Y Kids (physical activity, nutrition, and goal setting) and Flames Friday & Teen Night activities
- Advanced registration and discounted fees for programs
Why Grade 6?
Studies have shown grade 6 is the age in which a child is faced with many decisions, often with two options – a healthy one and an unhealthy one.
At YMCA Calgary, we believe youth need a place to belong, to feel safe, and to explore and grow during the important developmental stage of their grade 6 year. We want to support our youth in this critical time as they:
- age out of traditional care models
- develop new interests
- prepare for junior high
We intend to give grade 6 youth opportunities around leadership, recreation, and holistic health. Our ability to promote and build healthy relationships will help the youth
- expand their pro-social networks
- have opportunities to build healthy relationships with peers
- establish relationships with positive, adult role models
Why is the Flames Foundation for Life partnering with the YMCA?
The Flames Foundation want to make Calgary the healthiest City in Canada and this is a step. We want youth to not only be active but to become educated in a healthy lifestyle. This includes teamwork, leadership, social skills, goal setting and positive decision making. We hope that this age group is exposed to elements of a healthy lifestyle and will have the education required to motivate healthy choices moving forward in their physical and mental development.
How does a Youth get a Grade 6 Membership?
Drop in to any YMCA Calgary location to complete a membership form for your youth (parent/guardian signature, proof of child’s grade required).
When does it start?
The Grade 6 Membership program will officially launch September 1, 2014. Students in grade 6 will be able to get a one year membership valid September 1, 2014 to August 31, 2015, with the program continuing for new grade 6 students in September 2015.
- Blog - Featured
- Camp Chief Hector YMCA
- Camp Riveredge YMCA
- Community YMCA
- Grade 6 Membership
- Gray Family Eau Claire YMCA
- Melcor YMCA at Crowfoot
- Quarry Park Child Development Centre
- Remington YMCA
- Saddletowne YMCA
- Shane Homes YMCA at Rocky Ridge
- Shawnessy YMCA
- South Health Campus YMCA
- Success Story
- Success Story - Featured
- YMCA News