Wanna get motivated to work out? There are lots of stats out there that show having a workout buddy is one of the best ways to stay on track with your fitness routine. There are a number of reasons why:
- Motivation. We all have on and off days. Days you don’t feel like hitting the gym, your partner will likely be primed to go and get you there. Plus we people tend to like a little competition – driving us to work harder and challenge ourselves.
- Results. With a partner, most people push themselves harder. That not only means increasingly the likelihood of hitting your health goals, but getting there much faster than if you were on your own.
- Alternatives. We all think a little different than each other. Your workout buddy may offer suggestions for alternative exercises or training routines. Things you may not have come up with on your own. (This is also a great reason to get a personal trainer.)
- Spotting. Your workout buddy can help keep you safe by spotting you on equipment, allowing you to further challenge your abilities.
- Partner moves. There are lots of exercises that can be done with a partner, like doing sit-ups and passing a medicine ball between each time you both reach the centre.
- Companionship. Everyone loves a little company. Longer workouts can get tedious but having a friend around makes the time pass much faster.
Give some thought to choosing your workout buddy. This can make or break your success together at the gym:
- Fitness/Skill level. Team up with someone at a similar level to avoid one person exceling and one person being left behind. The best is a friend who will challenge you to work harder but will also be a motivation.
- Goals. Review your fitness goals together. If you want to build muscle while your workout buddy wants to increase cardio, you will be doing different exercises and end up not working out together. Try to find someone who will want to do similar moves so you both end up benefiting.
- Relationship. Make sure you pick someone who you like spending time with because you will be hanging out a lot at the gym improving your health together!
You know you have chosen your buddy well when you are reaching your fitness goals while having fun!
- Blog - Featured
- Camp Chief Hector YMCA
- Camp Riveredge YMCA
- Community YMCA
- Grade 6 Membership
- Gray Family Eau Claire YMCA
- Melcor YMCA at Crowfoot
- Quarry Park Child Development Centre
- Remington YMCA
- Saddletowne YMCA
- Shane Homes YMCA at Rocky Ridge
- Shawnessy YMCA
- South Health Campus YMCA
- Success Story
- Success Story - Featured
- YMCA News