Written by Jennie Petersen, General Manager – Wellness Programs , YMCA Calgary.
At YMCA Calgary, we believe in supporting our communities to be healthy and active.
To achieve health benefits, the Canadian Society for Exercise Physiology recommends that adult’s age 18-64 years should accumulate at least 150 minutes/ week of moderate to vigorous aerobic activity and muscle strengthening activities on at least 2 days per week.
Our goal is to provide you with the programs and services to help you get your 150 minutes of physical activity per week! Now, we also know it’s sometimes hard to know where to start – here are 7 ways to help you get started with physical activity at your YMCA:
1- Find activities you enjoy doing and choose what feels right for you.
- Try out a few different activities and make a habit of what you enjoy the most. For a gentle start, try one of our yoga classes. Yoga is now included in our membership and offers many health benefits, from flexibility and strength, to stress reduction and mindfulness.
2- Set goals, start small.
- Habits take time to build, so start slow. Remember that activity lasting for even 10 minutes helps you achieve health benefits! Start off by grabbing your sneakers and taking a walk around or track, or better yet – check out our Resistance Training Level 1 program, designed specifically for people who are new to exercise to help them gain the skills and knowledge of muscle strengthening activities.
3- Meet with a Wellness Coach.
- Meet with one of our certified fitness professionals who can support you in developing a plan that will help you achieve your goals and stay motivated. Click here for more information.
4- Find friends who enjoy the same activities as you, and do them together.
- At the YMCA, one of the best ways to meet new friends is to take a registered program or sign up for small group training. Committing to a class with the same instructor and same group of people is a great way to hold yourself accountable and get the results you want!
5- Variety is the spice of life!
- Every week at YMCA Calgary, we offer over 100 drop-in fitness classes across our facilities at various times to help fit your schedule. From muscle works to step choreography to core strength to group cycle – we have many different group fitness classes available that will all help you get your 150 minutes!
6- Track progress and celebrate your success.
- Start tracking your progress with our Fitlinxx, electronic tracking system. Fitlinxx tracks your progress while helping you lift weights confidently and safely. Ask for a Fitlinxx appointment to get set up today!
7- Learn a new skill.
- Sometimes the hardest part is not starting a new activity routine, it’s sticking with it. One of the best ways to keep motivated is to challenge yourself and try an activity you’ve never done before. Check out one of our martial arts programs, swimming lessons or sign up for climbing classes!
No matter where you start or where you’re coming from, remember, all activity is worth it and you don’t need to get to 150 min/ week right away to start seeing health benefits!
- Blog - Featured
- Camp Chief Hector YMCA
- Camp Riveredge YMCA
- Community YMCA
- Grade 6 Membership
- Gray Family Eau Claire YMCA
- Melcor YMCA at Crowfoot
- Quarry Park Child Development Centre
- Remington YMCA
- Saddletowne YMCA
- Shane Homes YMCA at Rocky Ridge
- Shawnessy YMCA
- South Health Campus YMCA
- Success Story
- Success Story - Featured
- YMCA News