YMCA Child Development Centre
Eau Claire, Saddletowne and Shawnessy YMCA branches operate licensed childcare programs with full-time care for children 19-months to 6-years. YMCA Calgary’s Child Development Centres give children the opportunity to swim, play in the gym, go on outings and field trips, and participate in other stimulating activities. Children are required to bring lunch; morning and afternoon snacks are provided.
Download the YMCA Calgary Child Development Information Handbook
YMCA Playing to Learn
YMCA Playing to Learn is a national YMCA curriculum that helps children discover learning through creative play and aligns with primary school benchmarks. YMCA Playing to Learn is intended to ensure a child’s continued enthusiasm and capacity for life-long learning. It provides an understanding of how play offers the foundation for learning to read and write, and for learning mathematics, science and technology. It provides early childhood educators with the skills to prepare spaces more conducive to learning and best practices to encourage quality learning experiences. YMCA Playing to Learn Brochure.
- Children 19 months - 3 years | $1020/month
- Children 3-6 years | $980/month
- Pre-authorized payments are required at the time of registration.
- A $300 deposit is required at time of registration; deposit will be returned with minimum 45-days notice of cancellation.
- Financial Assistance is available for qualifying families through Alberta Children’s Services and YMCA Calgary once a child is registered in the centre.
- YMCA Childcare Fees are reviewed annually each Fall. Any changes to fees are communicated to families a minimum of six weeks in advance.
- Waiting List: There is a non-refundable $50/family waiting list fee at each centre. Call or visit one of the centres for more information. Please note – registration on waitlists is limited and space may not be available. Placement on the waitlist does not guarantee a childcare space as we must place children of the correct age into the available space in order to maintain licensing requirements.
Hours & Locations
- Located in the Genesis Centre of Community Wellness
- Monday to Friday | 7:00am - 6:00pm
- Contact: Merle Clarke | (403) 237-2393 Extension 2722 | firstname.lastname@example.org
- Immediate Openings for children 3 - 6 years of age
Eau Claire YMCA
- Monday to Friday | 7:00am – 5:45pm
- Contact: Margaret Ferriss | (403) 781-1666 | email@example.com
- Children must be fully potty-trained
- Transportation for kindergarten children is available from this centre to Renfrew School (Janice McTighe Centre)
- Monday to Friday | 7:00am – 6:00pm
- Contact: Trudy Halvorsen | (403) 254-3211 | firstname.lastname@example.org
- Transportation for kindergarten children is available from this centre to Janet Johnstone School
- Space is currently available for children 4.5 - 6 years of age (July 2015 start date)
New YMCA Child Development Centres
YMCA Calgary is very excited to be planning for the opening of four new licensed childcare centres. Three of the centres will be in new recreation facilities -
Remington YMCA (Quarry Park) - Estimated completion is 2016 and subject to change
Rocky Ridge Recreation Facility - Estimated completion is 2017 and subject to change
Seton Recreation Facility - Estimated completion is 2018 and subject to change
And, as announced on February, 5, 2015 YMCA Calgary has been selected as the operator of the Quarry Park Child Development Centre being built by Remington Development.
Opportunities to register to receive updates about other YMCA Calgary facilities will be made available in the future.
Shawnessy YMCA Child Development Centre
YMCA Calgary has nominated the Shawnessy YMCA for an Alberta Child Development Professional Award. Read more about the nomination
National YMCA Childcare Survey Results
YMCA Calgary strives to be a leader in the development of active, healthy children and youth. The experiences your child has in YMCA Preschool Child Care is an important part of their development and a vital part of our commitment to building healthy communities.
Take a moment to review the results of the 2014 YMCA Child Care Survey.
YMCA Calgary offers child minding services for up to 2 hours while a parent/guardian is using YMCA facilities. Caregivers engage children using age-appropriate activities and positive guidance techniques.
Changes to current child minding processes will take effect September 1, 2015. Information can be found in the links below.