About YMCA Strong Kids
YMCA Strong Kids Campaign raises much needed financial support for children, teens and families who are unable to afford the full cost of participation in a YMCA program or activity. We all wonder how our individual gift could ever have an impact? YMCA Strong Kids Campaign helps one person at a time, one family at a time and one program at a time. That might mean providing funds to:
- Help a youth gain the confidence and skills to avoid isolation
- Help a child attend day camp for the first time and meet new friends
- Give a teen a safe place to go
- Help a young immigrant learn English
- Enable a struggling family to use a child care facility
- Enable a child to make healthy choices by participating in a recreation or fitness activity
In 2013, our goal is to raise $1.5 million to help enrich the lives of 20,000 children and youth in Calgary. All money raised goes directly to children and youth so they can belong, grow, thrive, and lead.
Want to know more? View our YMCA Strong Kids Slideshow.
Why is there a need for YMCA Strong Kids?
Research conducted by McMaster University has demonstrated that YMCA programs have a positive impact on low-income children, youth and families, dramatically enhancing their health and overall well-being, both today and well into the future. Calgary's economically disadvantaged includes:
- 1/5 of Calgary's children
- More than 50% of all single parent families
- More than 50% of all recent immigrants
- More than 50% of all Aboriginal people
- Close to 1/3 of all visible minority persons
Examples of how your investment in YMCA Strong Kids is used:
- $10/month ($120/year) enables a family peace of mind as their child attends Camp Riveredge in a fun, nurturing, and safe environment
- $20/month ($240/year): supports a teen to participate in leaderhsip devleopment programs; building their skills, character, and self-esteem
- $50/month ($600/year): can change a child's life at our residential summer camp, Camp Chief Hector
- $83/month ($1,000/year): ensures a whole family can enjoy the lasting benefits of regular physical activity at YMCA Calgary
- $10,000 - this major gift ensures the support of much needed and fully funded programs such as Aboriginal Active Life, School Support, and the YMCA Achievement Program (YMAP)
Donate to YMCA Strong Kids by:
- Giving a gift online
- Picking up a pledge card at any YMCA branch or downloading it here
- Mailing a cheque payable to YMCA Strong Kids to 101 3 St SW Calgary, AB T2P4G6
- Making a contribution by phone (403-781-1663)
- Becoming a Volunteer Strong Kids Campaign Chairperson (403-781-1663)
For fruther information about YMCA Strong Kids, contact Lana Dionne at 403-781-1663.