Posted: June 15, 2011
Filed Under: Aquatics
Location(s): Saddletowne YMCA
Salary Range: $34,551.00/yr
Start Date: Immediate
YMCA Calgary is excited to be part of the Genesis Centre of Community Wellness. The centre includes a branch of the Calgary Public Library, the North East Centre of Community Society (NECCS) and the Saddletowne YMCA. The North East Centre of Community Society operates indoor and outdoor soccer fields, a community gymnasium, kitchen and multipurpose rooms. 1000 Voices, a human services area providing immigration, career and family services and referrals, is also a part of the NECCS offerings at the Genesis Centre of Community Wellness. The Genesis Centre opened in January of 2012.
Nature and Scope:
Reporting to the Aquatic Director, this full-time position is responsible for ensuring a safe aquatic environment and delivering quality, value based programming in the Aquatic area. This position requires flexible hours including evenings and weekends. The Aquatic Supervisor is entitled to full YMCA benefits after a 3 month probationary period.
- Ensure a safe and fun environment for all staff, volunteers and participants
- Respond promptly to members' concerns and inform the Aquatic Director of unresolved issues
- Demonstrate excellent customer service by being friendly, courteous and helpful to all patrons
- Ensure that all staff are ready, on deck and prepared when their shifts start
- Ensure programs start and end on time
- Deliver leadership courses
- Be involved in 30 hours of lifeguarding or program instruction per week
- Complete approximately 10 hours of administrative duties per week
- Monitor changes of shifts and ensure adequate coverage
- Ensure staff certifications are current and employee files are up-to-date
- Ensure all staff adhere to the Aquatic Policies and Procedures
- Assist the Aquatic Director with staff evaluations
- Maintain current inventory of aquatic supplies and recommend purchases
- Monitor and report pool statistics
- Support the Aquatic Director as needed and act in their place when absent
Be an active part of the Aquatic Workgroup
Commitment to the Vision and Values: Demonstrates and promotes a personal understanding of and appreciation for the mission, vision and values of YMCA Calgary.
Service Attitude/Customer Focus: Identifies needs and wants of members/participants as priority and responds in an effective and timely manner to enhance every person's YMCA experience.
Leadership: Ability to develop and direct performance of others to achieve desired results.
Communication: Ability to speak, write, listen, and secure information in a variety of settings.
Self Management: Ability to direct personal performance to achieve desired results.
Teamwork: Ability to work effectively with others to achieve optimal collective results.
Flexibility/Managing Change: Ability to know your environment, initiate and respond effectively to changing conditions.
Diversity: Appreciates that people with different opinions, backgrounds and characteristics bring richness to the YMCA.
Commitment to Health and Safety: Acknowledges and understands how to manage and educate others of risk and harm reduction.
Information Technology: Appreciates the learning opportunity in sharing information and effectively utilizes available information technology.
- Supervisory experience an asset
- YMCA Swim Instructor/WSI
- Standard First Aid and CPR
- Lifesaving Instructor preferred
- NLS Instructor and First Aid Instructor would be an asset
- Knowledge of YMCA programs and services
- Security Clearance and vulnerable sector search (completed at time of employment offer). Should an employment offer be made and you have a previous cleared security clearance including vulnerable sector search completed and dated within six months of the offer, we will accept a copy.
Please send a cover letter and resume quoting posting number TY-AQUA-010 by Wednesday, January 30, 2013 to:
YMCA Calgary Association Services
101 3 St. SW
Calgary, AB T2P 4G6
Fax: (403) 269-4661
YMCA Calgary is an equal opportunity employer.
We thank all applicants for their interest however only those selected for an interview will be contacted.