Posted: February 21, 2014
Filed Under: Camps - Residential
Location(s): Camp Chief Hector YMCA
Salary: Ranges from $200 to $300 weekly - room and board included
Start Date: June 28th (Mistaya partial contract); June 29th (Day Camp and Hector 6-Day Camps Contract), 2014
End Date: August 1st, 2014
YMCA Calgary is a charitable organization driven by its mission to facilitate and promote the spiritual, mental, physical and social development of individuals and foster a sense of responsibility within the community. For more than 100 years, YMCA Calgary has offered values-based programs and services that enable people to develop in spirit, mind and body.
With an annual budget of $30 million, YMCA Calgary serves the Calgary community from six branches and over 60 program delivery sites. With four Health and Wellness branches: Eau Claire, Shawnessy, Crowfoot and Saddletowne, as well as the Community YMCA and YMCA Camp Chief Hector, YMCA Calgary offers programs and services in a variety of areas that promote healthy choices, personal growth and community engagement. YMCA Calgary's upcoming presence in the South Health Campus will further enable the YMCA to assist people to be healthy in spirit, mind and body.
Camp Chief Hector YMCA runs a summer camp for children and youth and their families. All staff live and work at our site located near Exshaw, Alberta.
Nature and Scope:
Reporting to a Section Director at Camp Chief Hector YMCA, Counsellors are individuals with interest in and previous experience working with children and youth in an outdoor environment. Counsellors work with campers aged 7-13 years old who come to Camp Chief Hector for 5, 6 and 13 day sessions. These campers are ready for the adventure of new experiences and require a leader who is actively involved in facilitating a positive, engaging camp experience for all. Counsellors enjoy the company of their campers while providing them with appropriate expectations and clear boundaries. By the end of staff training (the first week of the contract), counsellors need to feel comfortable with taking a leadership role and participating in all activities and aspects of camp life. Counsellors need to be creative, flexible and approachable, be open to learning and teaching new skills, and be ready to facilitate great adventures for campers.
Day Camp Counsellors live at Camp Chief Hector YMCA and support our residential camp programs in the evenings.
- Provide fun, positive and active leadership to campers
- Be a friend and mentor to campers and their families
- Support Camp Chief Hector YMCA risk management rules and guidelines
- Create a caring, supportive environment where campers feel that they can take risks, make new friends and try new things
- Model and support the values of Camp Chief Hector YMCA and YMCA Calgary
- Work as an active and positive member of the Camp Chief Hector YMCA staff team
- Manage personal energy to perform excellently each week with a busy schedule
Certifications and Experiences
People who have found success in this position have:
- Previous experience and positive references related to working with children/youth
- Clearly demonstrated a positive attitude and teamwork in prior work/volunteer situations
- The ability to provide comfort and guidance to campers who are often away from home for the first time
- Standard First Aid and CPR 'C' or 24 hour Wilderness and Remote First Aid (for 13 day Mistaya Counsellors)
- A clean criminal background check including a vulnerable sector search
Commitment to the Vision and Values: Demonstrates and promotes a personal understanding of and appreciation for the mission, vision and values of YMCA Calgary
Service Attitude/Customer Focus: Identifies needs and wants of campers and their families as priority and responds in an effective and timely manner to enhance every person's Camp Chief Hector YMCA experience
Leadership: Ability to adapt to working with different people in a dynamic environment
Communication: Ability to maintain open, clear, honest rapport with campers and co-workers
Self Management: Ability to adapt personal job expectations and maintain desire for professional growth
Teamwork: Ability to work effectively with others to provide memorable camp experiences for children and youth
Flexibility/Managing Change: Ability to initiate and respond effectively to changing conditions
Diversity: Appreciate that people with varying opinions, backgrounds and personalities bring richness to the YMCA
Commitment to Health and Safety: Acknowledges the importance and understands how to manage and educate others of risk management and harm reduction
If you are applying to work for more than one season, please send in only one application package and quote both seasons' job titles in the cover letter.
NEW STAFF: Please apply with a cover letter, resume and 3 references (email addresses AND phone numbers) who can attest to your character and previous work or volunteer performance. At least one of these references must be from a position where you were working or volunteering with youth.
In your cover letter, please list in point form:
- Your experiences working with children and youth. Include the organization, the length of the sessions and length of your commitment, and what your role was within the program
- The level of first aid certification that you have and it's expiry date, or your plan to acquire the certifications needed for the position you're applying for
RETURNING STAFF (and former LIT participants): For prospective staff who have worked at Camp Chief Hector YMCA, please apply with a resume and cover letter that answers the following questions:
- State the positions that you are interested in for 2014
- Give at least 4 concise examples of growth-oriented feedback you have received. If you did not receive sufficient feedback from others to answer the following questions, please use reflections on your own performance. For each example, answer with specific details
- What growth was recommended or necessary for you?
- What did you do to address the feedback?
- What did you learn from this feedback?
- Which leadership skills have you been developing since you last worked here?
Hiring is ongoing until all positions are filled.
Please send application packages to: Steve MacDonald firstname.lastname@example.org