Posted: December 10, 2013
Filed Under: Programs
Location(s): Crowfoot YMCA
Starting Salary: $31,602.15/yr
Start Date: Immediate
Nature and Scope:
This full-time position provides leadership and excellent membership service in the conditioning centre. This includes exceeding members' expectations of service and support while modeling excellent service in direct program delivery, personal training instruction and fitness assessment.
- Ensure excellent quality member service by identifying the needs and wants of members/participants as priority and respond in an effective and timely manner
- Aid in the development, implementation and evaluation of programs within the conditioning centre
- Provide personal training and perform program and instructional duties as outlined by the Strength and Conditioning Director
- Provide leadership to member special events and workshops/presentation as outlined by the Strength and Conditioning Director
- Assist with the recruitment and supervision of all volunteers working in the conditioning centre
- Show members how to use the cardio equipment and selectorized machines
- Circulate in all sections of the conditioning centre
- Scan the room for interaction opportunities and initiate contact with members in the conditioning centre
- Approach members who are new or look as though they need assistance
- Provide members with safe basic training programs
- Encourage members to participate "activity challenges/events" offered
- Actively solicit members' feedback regarding the YMCA and facilities
- Actively identify members who need an orientation program or follow-up
- Scan the environment and ensure the conditioning centre's equipment is clean, in good repair, and that safety hazards are removed
- This position is expected to work flexible hours including early mornings, evenings and weekends
- Accumulate a minimum 50 hours of individual conditioning activities over 2 years
- Attend a minimum of 16 hours of YMCA approved training over 2 years
- Maintain YMCA Priority: SAM
Commitment to Vision and Values: Demonstrates and promotes a personal understanding of and appreciation for the mission, vision and values of YMCA Calgary.
Service Attitude/Customer Focus: Identifies needs and wants of members/participants as priority and responds in an effective and timely manner to enhance every person's YMCA experience.
Leadership: Ability to develop and direct performance of others to achieve desired results.
Communication: Ability to speak, write, listen, and secure information in a variety of settings.
Self Management: Ability to direct personal performance to achieve desired results.
Teamwork: Ability to work effectively with others to achieve optimal collective results.
Flexibility/Managing Change: Ability to know your environment, initiate and respond effectively to changing conditions.
Diversity: Appreciates that people with different opinions, backgrounds and characteristics bring a richness to the YMCA.
Commitment to Health and Safety: Acknowledges and understands how to manage and educate others of risk and harm reduction.
Information Technology: Appreciates the learning opportunity in sharing information and
effectively utilizes available information technology.
- University degree or diploma in kinesiology and/or related field
- CSEP-CEP/ACSM certified or AB Kinesiology Association Registered Kinesiologist certified preferred
- AFLCA Resistance Training Certification (must transfer to the YMCA Individual Conditioning Level III - includes attending YMCA Individual Conditioning Level I - Building Relationships course, Basic Theory, IC Level II and IC Level III certification and this must be completed within three month of the hiring date)
- External Personal Training Certification
- Current CPR Level C/First Aid
- Theoretical and practical experience in the Strength and Conditioning field
- Evidence of a cleared security clearance with vulnerable sector search
- Three professional references are required
Please send a resume and cover letter quoting posting number CFY-PROG-128 by December 24th, 2013 to:
YMCA Calgary Association Services
101 3rd St. SW
Calgary, AB T2P 4G6
Fax: (403) 269-4661
YMCA Calgary is an Equal Opportunity Employer.