Posted: November 27, 2013
Filed Under: Youth Programming
Location(s): Eau Claire YMCA
Start Date: Immediately
YMCA Calgary is growing along with the city and is continuing to expand its' scope of work to reflect the mission of the YMCA and the strategic vision of the Association. The areas of impact for our work are: Health of Children, Youth & Adults; Community Building; Leadership.
YMCA Calgary has a budget of $30.million and serves the Calgary community from seven branches and many program delivery sites. YMCA Calgary offers programs and services in a variety of areas including membership, childcare, camping, employment, education, youth leadership, outdoor education, and school based community programs.
Nature and Scope:
Youth Coordinators provide leadership and support for the planning, implementation and evaluation of youth programming at Eau Claire YMCA.
The Youth Coordinators will be responsible for delivering programs and services at the Eau Claire YMCA, primarily aimed at the 12-17 age group. This role is an advocate for youth and is expected to build relationships with them as they participate at the YMCA. The coordinator is expected to interact with the youth during non-registered programs in order to build relationships and facilitate positive peer engagement. This contract position will also responsible for special events, leadership programs, summer camp activities and Teen Night.
This position requires a flexible work week to reflect usage patterns and programs for the target age group, and will include evening and weekend working. This is a contract position for the period of 1 year.
- Deliver summer camping leadership opportunities for youth
- Promote youth volunteering within the Eau Claire YMCA
- Actively engage in the leadership curriculum redevelopment
- Responsible for the weekly leadership programs for junior high and high school youth during the school year
- Dedicate 75% of time to deliver registered programs and interacting and building relationships with youth during drop-in times (teen night, youth center, gym, weight floor, etc.)
- Prepare and submit monthly reports, program statistics and impact stories
- Promote YMCA programs and services for youth internally and externally
Commitment to Vision and Values: Demonstrates and promotes a personal understanding of and appreciation for the mission, vision and values of YMCA Calgary.
Service Attitude/Customer Focus: Identifies needs and wants of members/participants as priority and responds in an effective and timely manner to enhance every person's YMCA experience.
Leadership: Ability to develop and direct performance of others to achieve desired results.
Communication: Ability to speak, write, listen, and secure information in a variety of settings.
Self Management: Ability to direct personal performance to achieve desired results.
Teamwork: Ability to work effectively with others to achieve optimal collective results.
Flexibility/Managing Change: Ability to know your environment, initiate and respond effectively to changing conditions.
Values Diversity: Appreciates that people with different opinions, backgrounds and characteristics bring richness to the challenge or situation at hand.
Commitment to Health and Safety: Acknowledges and understands how to manage and educate others of risk and harm reduction.
Information Technology: Appreciates the learning opportunity in sharing information and effectively utilizes available information technology.
- Experience and/or desire to work with youth aged 12 to 17
- Post-secondary education in Arts, Education, Social Work or Humanities field preferred
- Knowledge of Microsoft Word and Excel
- CPR/Standard First Aid
- Successful candidate will undergo a security clearance check, with a vulnerable sector check
- 3 professional references
Please send a cover letter and resume quoting posting number ECY-PROG-112 by December 13, 2013Human ResourcesYMCA Calgary Association Services101 3 St. S.W.Calgary, AB T2P 4G6Fax: (403) 269-4661Email: email@example.com
YMCA Calgary is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We thank all applicants for their interest however only those selected for an interview will be contacted.