Posted: October 4, 2013
Filed Under: Community Programs & Services
Location(s): Saddletowne YMCA
Start Date: Immediately upon approval of a security clearance with a vulnerable sector search
Nature and Scope:
Be an advocate for newcomer high school students as they learn about life in Canada, prepare for employment and discover what inspires them. The Community YMCA is seeking two energetic individuals to fill two full-time YMCA Achievement Program (YMAP) Coordinator positions:
- YMAP Coordinator, NE - this position is based out of Saddletowne YMCA
YMAP Coordinators are responsible for delivering an after-school leadership, career exploration and life skills program to high school immigrant youth between the ages of 15-20. This year-round position is also responsible for summer programs, special events and projects as well as monthly reports and impact reporting.
- Recruit and interview prospective participants
- Deliver weekly after school training sessions from October to June
- Organize special events and recruit volunteers and mentors
- Continually develop and adapt curriculum to meet student needs
- Prepare and submit monthly reports, program statistics and impact stories
- Provide drop-in and referral services for participants
- Conduct outreach work with schools and community organizations
- Promote YMAP and YMCA programs and services for youth
- Attend internal committee pertaining to position
- Work with high needs youth from various cultural backgrounds
- Ensure a clean and safe work environment
Commitment to Vision and Values: Demonstrates and promotes a personal understanding of and appreciation for the mission, vision and values of YMCA Calgary.
Service Attitude/Customer Focus: Identifies needs and wants of members/participants as priority and responds in an effective and timely manner to enhance every person's YMCA experience.
Leadership: Ability to develop and direct performance of others to achieve desired results.
Communication: Ability to speak, write, listen, and secure information in a variety of settings.
Self Management: Ability to direct personal performance to achieve desired results.
Teamwork: Ability to work effectively with others to achieve optimal collective results.
Flexibility/Managing Change: Ability to know your environment, initiate and respond effectively to changing conditions.
Values Diversity: Appreciates that people with different opinions, backgrounds and characteristics bring richness to the challenge or situation at hand.
Commitment to Health and Safety: Acknowledges and understands how to manage and educate others of risk and harm reduction.
Information Technology: Appreciates the learning opportunity in sharing information and effectively utilizes available information technology.
- Post secondary education in Arts, Education, Social Work or Humanities field
- Facilitation experience, particularly around topics such as career development and leadership
- Administrative experience and knowledge of Microsoft Word and Excel
- Experience and/or desire to work with newcomer youth and high school youth
- Culturally sensitive
- CPR/Standard First Aid
- Vehicle would be beneficial
- Successful candidate will undergo a security clearance check
Please send a cover letter and resume quoting posting number CY-PROG-007 by Monday October 21st 2013.
YMCA Calgary Association Services
101 3 St. S.W.
Calgary, AB T2P 4G6
Fax: (403) 269-4661
YMCA Calgary is an Equal Opportunity Employer.