Posted: September 12, 2013
Filed Under: Marketing and Communication
Location(s): Head Office
Start Date: Immediate
YMCA Calgary continues to grow as an association and in its mission to build healthy communities. YMCA Calgary currently consists of seven branches, with two new branches set to open in 2015 and 2017. YMCA anticipates continual expansion across Calgary.
The role of the YMCA Communications department is to position YMCA Calgary well with target audiences to support business objectives and increase understanding of the breadth and scope of the work done by the organization.
Nature and Scope:
Situated in YMCA Calgary's Association Services and reporting to the Communications Manager, the Communications Coordinator will work to position YMCA Calgary positively with all stakeholders.
The Communications Coordinator will be responsible for preparing written materials including researching, writing and editing media releases, scripts and web and social media content.
There is a significant focus on digital work, including social media, the YMCA Calgary website, blog and Intranet, and other electronic communications tools.
The Communications Coordinator will also take the lead in marketing and communications surrounding special projects for YMCA Calgary, including event planning, working with photographers/videographers, VIPs, external suppliers and other staff involved with the specials events.
This position will require some travel to all YMCA locations within Calgary and occasional evening and weekend work.
- Preparing media releases, scripts and other communications material, as well as editing and reviewing print and electronic communications
- Creating and managing web content for our website, blog and intranet
- Developing and growing the organization's presence on social media including Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, YouTube, etc.
- Building strong internal and external relationships, liaising with media and stakeholders
- Representing the YMCA Calgary Communications team at YMCA program workgroup meetings, special event workgroup meetings and monthly YMCA branch staff meetings.
Commitment to Vision and Values: Demonstrates and promotes a personal understanding of and appreciation for the mission, vision and values of YMCA Calgary.
Service Attitude/Customer Focus: Identifies needs and wants of members/participants as priority and responds in an effective and timely manner to enhance every person's YMCA experience.
Leadership: Ability to develop and direct performance of others to achieve desired results.
Communication: Ability to speak, write, listen, and secure information in a variety of settings.
Self Management: Ability to direct personal performance to achieve desired results
Teamwork: Ability to work effectively with others to achieve optimal collective results.
Flexibility/Managing Change: Ability to know your environment, initiate and respond effectively to changing conditions.
Diversity: Appreciates that people with different opinions, backgrounds and characteristics bring a richness to the YMCA.
Commitment to Health and Safety: Acknowledges and understands how to manage and educate others of risk and harm reduction.
Information Technology: Appreciates the learning opportunity in sharing information and effectively utilizes available information technology.
- Post-secondary degree or diploma in Communications or Marketing
- Exceptional writing and editing skills
- Experience in media relations strategy and execution
- Solid knowledge of social media platforms and ability to maneuver easily within CMS systems
- Ability to work confidently and efficiently in Microsoft Office
- Experience and interest in health, fitness and/or recreation is preferred
- Ability to work independently within a busy team environment
- Experience with Adobe Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign, Premier Elements and Acrobat an asset
- Photography and video production skills is an asset
- Evidence of a cleared police security clearance including a vulnerable sector search
- Provide three professional references
Please send a cover letter and resume quoting posting number AS-COM-005 by September 30, 2013 to:
YMCA Calgary Association Services
101 3 St. SW
Calgary, AB T2P 4G6
Fax: (403) 269-4661
YMCA Calgary is an equal opportunity employer.