Posted: September 5, 2013
Filed Under: Community Programs & Services
Location(s): Community YMCA
Salary Range: $39,015-$45,517.50 commensurate with experience
Contract Term: October 16, 2013 - October 15, 2014 (approximately one year term position covering maternity leave)
Starting Date: October 16, 2013, upon approved Police Information Check with a vulnerable sector search
Nature and Scope:
Language Instruction for Newcomers to Canada (LINC) is funded by Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC). LINC aims to facilitate the social, cultural and economic integration of immigrants and refugees into Canada by providing language instruction in English or French, as well as information that helps newcomers to become oriented to the Canadian way of life. This program has been running at YMCA Calgary for about 20 years.
This full-time contract position reports to the Immigrant Services Manager at the Community YMCA. The LINC Director oversees the administration, coordination, and promotion of LINC as well as supervision, guidance and support of full-time and part-time staff. She/he is also responsible for liaising and collaborating within the LINC community in Calgary and keeping attuned to needs and trends for newcomers.
LINC programs are located at Shawnessy YMCA, Saddletowne YMCA (in the 1000 Voices area), and the YMCA in the South Health Campus. The LINC Director will be based out of the Shawnessy YMCA, but is expected to divide time between all three locations.
We are looking for someone with a passion for working with newcomers, experience with LINC or government-funded programs and a commitment to developing and supporting staff.
- Directly supervising 2 full-time and 4 part-time staff
- Supporting and developing staff to meet their goals and for leadership development
- Preparing quarterly reports to the funder (CIC)
- Preparing monthly management reports pertaining to budget and program stats
- Tracking program spending on a monthly basis
- Ensuring program outcomes are being met and measured
- Represent YMCA Calgary on external and internal committees
- Advocating for the health and wellness of newcomers to Canada
- Providing leadership to a team of over 20 LINC instructors, Teaching Assistants and Volunteers
Commitment to Vision and Values: Demonstrates and promotes a personal understanding of and appreciation for the mission, vision and values of YMCA Calgary.
Service Attitude/Customer Focus: Identifies needs and wants of members/participants as priority and responds in an effective and timely manner to enhance every person's YMCA experience.
Leadership: Ability to develop and direct performance of others to achieve desired results.
Communication: Ability to speak, write, listen, and secure information in a variety of settings.
Self Management: Ability to direct personal performance to achieve desired results.
Teamwork: Ability to work effectively with others to achieve optimal collective results.
Flexibility/Managing Change: Ability to know your environment, initiate and respond effectively to changing conditions.
Values Diversity: Appreciates that people with different opinions, backgrounds and characteristics bring a richness to the challenge or situation at hand.
Commitment to Health and Safety: Acknowledges and understands how to manage and educate others of risk and harm reduction.
Information Technology: Appreciates the learning opportunity in sharing information and effectively utilizes available information technology.
- Post-secondary education in Arts, Education, Social Work or Humanities field
- Minimum 1 year of supervisory experience with full and/or part-time staff
- Experience in managing a program budget
- Experience in LINC curriculum and curriculum development
- Awareness and understanding of issues facing new Canadians
- Superior written and oral communication skills
- Experience in coordinating LINC or other government funded programs would be an asset
- ESL certificate and experience teaching ESL and/or LINC would be an asset
- Standard First Aid and CPR level C
- Reliable vehicle
- Successful candidate will undergo a security clearance check including a vulnerable sector search
Please send a resume and cover letter quoting posting number CY LINC-115 by September 22, 2013 to
YMCA Calgary Association Services
101 3 St. S.W.
Calgary, AB T2P 4G6
Fax: (403) 269-4661
YMCA Calgary is an equal opportunity employer.