Posted: March 7, 2013
Filed Under: Marketing and Communication
Location(s): Head Office
Starting salary: $101,439/year
Start Date: To Be Determined
YMCA Calgary is a charitable organization driven by its mission to facilitate and promote the spiritual, mental, physical and social development of individuals and foster a sense of responsibility within the community. For more than 100 years, YMCA Calgary has offered values-based programs and services that enable people to develop in spirit, mind and body.
With an annual budget of $30 million, YMCA Calgary serves the Calgary community from seven branches and over 65 program delivery sites. With five Health and Wellness branches: Eau Claire, Saddletowne, Shawnessy, Crowfoot and the YMCA in the South Health Campus, as well as the Community YMCA and YMCA Camp Chief Hector, YMCA Calgary offers programs and services in a variety of areas that promote healthy choices, personal growth and community engagement.
Nature and Scope:
Reporting to the President and CEO, the Vice President, Communications is a member of the senior leadership and will be a guiding force and strategic catalyst behind innovative communications initiatives and objectives in support of YMCA Calgary. This individual will strategically review current communications practices and assess the needs of the association by proposing and directing communications programs in support of the overall Association strategic framework. This role is focused on the development, execution and management of communication strategies designed to build brand awareness and visibility and tell the YMCA narrative.
- Develop messaging for brand awareness and identity
- Strategically position the association with target audiences to understand the breadth and scope of the YMCA internally and externally.
- Working with the Vice President, Financial Development, design marketing materials and provide strategic leadership in integrating financial development and communications internally and externally.
- Create and implement corporate communications and public relations.
- Manage relationships with external partners (i.e. media, agencies, etc.).
- Engage and direct staff in the execution of a range of publications and marketing materials
- Manage the association's online presence, including the association's website, social networking sites and other online forums.
Communicate the association's mission, stories, programs and services and shape the image of the YMCA within the community through the use of local media
Commitment to Vision and Values: Demonstrates and promotes a personal understanding of and appreciation for the mission, vision and values of YMCA Calgary.
Service Attitude/Customer Focus: Identifies needs and wants of members/participants as priority and responds in an effective and timely manner to enhance every person's YMCA experience.
Leadership: Ability to develop and direct performance of others to achieve desired results.
Communication: Ability to speak, write, listen, and secure information in a variety of settings.
Self Management: Ability to direct personal performance to achieve desired results.
Teamwork: Ability to work effectively with others to achieve optimal collective results.
Flexibility/Managing Change: Strong political acumen with ability to understand the environment and initiate and respond effectively to changing conditions.
Values Diversity: Appreciates that people with different opinions, backgrounds and characteristics bring a richness to the challenge or situation at hand.
Commitment to Health and Safety: Acknowledges and understands how to manage and educate others of risk and harm reduction.
Information Technology: Appreciates the learning opportunity in sharing information and effectively utilizes available information technology.
- A degree from a recognized university in communications
- A minimum of 10 years of related experience
- Solid knowledge of strategic planning, communications planning and techniques
- Excellent written and presentation skills
- Proven ability to motivate teams and take action that results in a high level of accountability
- Builds positive and effective relationships, both inside and outside the association
- Strong initiative and team player
- Evidence of a cleared police security clearance including a vulnerable sector search
Please send a cover letter and resume quoting posting AS-MGMT-002 by Friday, March 22, 2013 to:
YMCA Calgary Human Resources
101 3 St. SW
Calgary, AB, T2P 4G6
Fax: (403) 269-4661
Thank you for your interest in this position. Only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
YMCA Calgary is an equal opportunity employer.