Posted: March 4, 2013
Filed Under: Camps - Day
Location(s): Camp Riveredge YMCA
Salary Range: $106.04-$118.79/day (commensurate with experience)
Start Date: June 5, 2013 (prior training maybe required)
Camp Riveredge is a YMCA outdoor-based summer day camp located in Calgary at Sandy Beach. Here, campers learn about themselves, others, and the world around them through a variety of age appropriate activities, which are based on the YMCA's ability to provide the best in values based programming. The values the YMCA focuses on, and incorporates into its daily programming are the core values of responsibility, caring, honesty and respect.
Nature and Scope:
This position is responsible for providing supervision, evaluation, leadership, organization, program planning resources and support to day camp counselors at YMCA Camp Riveredge, with a focus on outdoor programming. This position reports to the YMCA Camp Riveredge Director and is required to be available from June 5 to August 31, 2013.
- Provide quality leadership, implementation, guidance, and resources in the areas of camp counselor training, camper leadership, outdoor skill development and education and outdoor programming
- Ensure that YMCA Camp Riveredge counselors are providing safe programs and abiding by YMCA Calgary's Policies and Procedures
- Assist other camp staff with daily camp duties, camper supervision and site maintenance
- Coordinate and provide support for day camp activities such as the low ropes course, out tripping, canoeing, etc
- Responsible for ensuring outdoor program equipment, supplies and physical space is maintained in a safe capacity
Commitment to Vision and Values: Demonstrates and promotes a personal understanding of and appreciation for the mission, vision and values of YMCA Calgary.
Service Attitude/Customer Focus: Identifies needs and wants of members/participants as priority and responds in an effective and timely manner to enhance every person's YMCA experience.
Leadership: Ability to develop and direct performance of others to achieve desired results.
Communication: Ability to speak, write, listen, and secure information in a variety of settings.
Self Management: Ability to direct personal performance to achieve desired results.
Teamwork: Ability to work effectively with others to achieve optimal collective results.
Flexibility/Managing Change: Ability to know your environment, initiate and respond effectively to changing conditions.
Values Diversity: Appreciates that people with different opinions, backgrounds and characteristics bring a richness to the YMCA.
Commitment to Health and Safety: Acknowledges and understands how to manage and educate others of risk and harm reduction.
Information Technology: Appreciates the learning opportunity in sharing information and effectively utilizes available information technology.
- Minimum 2 years post secondary education in a related field
- Standard First Aid and CPR
- Previous day camp or residential camp experience
- Role model behavior when dealing with staff, campers and members
- Out tripping and outdoor education experience and skills
- All YMCA related training
- NLS, Bronze Cross and Bronze Medallion would be an asset
- Evidence of a cleared security clearance
Please send a resume or application quoting posting number CY-CAMP-112 by March 10, 2013 to:
YMCA Calgary Association Services
101 3 St. S.W.
Calgary, AB T2P 4G6
Fax: (403) 269-4661
YMCA Calgary is an equal opportunity employer.