Posted: July 20, 2012
Filed Under: Volunteers
Location(s): South Health Campus YMCA
Climbing Wall Volunteers
YMCA in the South Health Campus
Start Date: Immediately
The YMCA in the South Health Campus represents an important opportunity to create the future of health care and health promotion for citizens of Alberta and beyond. The South Health Campus will be more than a hospital; more than just a place to treat illness and disease. It has been designed as an integrated health care campus that will inspire and create a broad range of opportunities for health and healing. An integral component of this innovative approach is the inclusion of a 2700 sq. meter Wellness Center, located along the building's main corridor.
As a proponent of health and well-being, YMCA Calgary has partnered with Alberta Health Services (AHS) to provide health-promoting services out of the SHC Wellness Centre. The Wellness Centre will include the following components; a YMCA fitness area and programming, Patient and Community Resource Centre, Knowledge Exchange Centre (U of C), Climbing Wall and Wellness Kitchen. Collectively, the Wellness Center will offer a wide variety of wellness services promoting physical activity, healthy eating, healthy living "transitions" for staff and physicians, patients and their families and for communities surrounding SHC. Partners in the Centre will work collaboratively to achieve wellness goals of the YMCA, Alberta Health Services and the South Health Campus.
Volunteer Title: Climbing Wall
Volunteer Purpose: To assist in climbing wall programs and group booking
Key Areas of Responsibility
- Supervision and coaching participants ages 6 years to adults in climbing wall programs
- Monitor climbing wall activities and enforce facility policies and procedures
- Support YMCA Climbing Wall Instructional Staff
- Evidence of a cleared security clearance, including vulnerable sector check ( to be completed by YMCA Calgary at time of hiring)
- Prior top role climbing experience ( indoor or outdoor)
- Ability to pass a YMCA Calgary Belay Competency Check
- Attendance at a YMCA South Health Campus Climbing Wall Orientation Session
- Attend all other mandatory YMCA volunteer training
- Positive attitude and patient
Volunteer Commitment and Privileges
Upon completion of a period determined by YMCA Calgary, volunteers are eligible for a citywide YMCA general membership. To continue, volunteers must volunteer a minimum of 1.5 hours per week.
Specific shifts required for:
Variety of days and times throughout the week.
If interested in this volunteer opportunity, please send a resume or YMCA application form to:Mahad HassanSouth Health Campus YMCA4448 Front Street SET3M 1M4mhassan@calgary.ymca.ca