Posted: February 15, 2013
Filed Under: Camps - Day
Location(s): Eau Claire YMCA
Salary: $89.92 - $102.22 per day
Start Date: June 24th - August 23th 2013
YMCA Aboriginal Day Camps are available for children from 7-13 years of age at YMCA Camp Riveredge. Aboriginal Day Camp is a YMCA outdoor-based summer day camp located in Calgary at Sandy Beach/Camp Riveredge. Our Aboriginal Day Camp team provides an active and positive environment for urban Aboriginal children. The program encompasses cultural, recreational and leadership components. The values the YMCA focuses on, and incorporates into its daily programming are the core values of responsibility, caring, honesty and respect. These daycamps are designed to be high energy and action packed for the participants.
Nature and Scope:
The position is responsible for providing a fun, safe and healthy environment for children registered for YMCA Aboriginal Day Camps. Counselors are required to supervise children and program daily activities in an outdoor setting. This is a high energy camp where staff and participants alike have a lot of fun through planned daily outdoor activity. They will report to the Aboriginal Community Outreach Coordinator and are required to be available for Day Camp programs daily throughout the summer. The position is Monday through Friday, from July 2rd -August 23rd.
- Provide quality care, fun and supervision for all campers
- Plan and implement all aspects of the daily schedule (recreation and culture based)
- Participate in all group activities and encourage camper participation, including waterfront activities
- Provide first aid care when necessary and notify the Senior Day Camp team of actions as soon as possible
- Meet and greet parents and campers on arrival and departure from camp and branches
- Act as a member of the camp team including meetings, post camp clean-up and bus duty
Abide by all YMCA Calgary Policies and Procedures
Commitment to Vision and Values: Demonstrates and promotes a personal understanding of and appreciation for the mission, vision and values of YMCA Calgary.
Service Attitude/Customer Focus: Identifies needs and wants of members/participants as priority and responds in an effective and timely manner to enhance every person's YMCA experience.
Leadership: Ability to develop and direct performance of others to achieve desired results.
Communication: Ability to speak, write, listen, and secure information in a variety of settings.
Self Management: Ability to direct personal performance to achieve desired results.
Teamwork: Ability to work effectively with others to achieve optimal collective results.
Flexibility/Managing Change: Ability to know your environment, initiate and respond effectively to changing conditions.
Diversity: Appreciates that people with different opinions, backgrounds and characteristics bring a richness to the YMCA.
Commitment to Health and Safety: Acknowledges and understands how to manage and educate others of risk and harm reduction.
Information Technology: Appreciates the learning opportunity in sharing information and effectively utilizes available information technology.
- Experience working with Aboriginal Children and Youth
- Role model behavior when dealing with staff, campers and members
- Previous YMCA day camp or residential camp experience an asset
- Must have high school completion and/or be registered in a post secondary program, as this is a grant position
- Current Standard First Aid and CPR
- All YMCA related training
- Must be 18 years of age or older
- This position is dependent on receipt of a grant
- Security Clearance and vulnerable sector search (completed at time of employment offer). Should an employment offer be made and you have a previous cleared security clearance including vulnerable sector search completed and dated within 12 months of the offer, we will accept a copy.
Please send a cover letter and resume quoting posting number CY-YAPS-001 by Friday, April 19th, 2013 to:
YMCA Calgary Association Services
101 3 St. S.W.
Calgary, AB T2P 4G6
Fax: (403) 269-4661
YMCA Calgary is an Equal Opportunity Employer.