Posted: December 14, 2011
Filed Under: Community Programs & Services
Location(s): Crowfoot YMCA
Start Date: January 16th, 2013, upon approved security clearance with a vulnerable sector search.
Nature and Scope:
Be an advocate for newcomer high school students as they learn about life in Canada, prepare for employment and discover what inspires them. The Community YMCA is seeking an energetic individual to fill the full-time YMCA Achievement Program (YMAP) Director position.
Reporting to the Immigrant Services Manager, and located out of the Crowfoot YMCA, the Director will be responsible for overseeing the operations of the YMCA Achievement Program including supervising a team of four full time staff located at sites in each quadrant of the city. The YMAP program and staff are responsible for identifying, recruiting, and providing life skills, career planning and leadership skills to high school newcomer youth.
The YMAP Director guides, supports and develops the staff team towards achieving program goals and outcomes, assists with funding reports, completes monthly reports and oversees the program budget. They are also responsible for the CIBC YouthVision Scholarship program, program health and safety and planning staff meeting and trainings.
We are looking for someone who is energetic, has a passion for youth, welcoming newcomers to Canada and the development of others.
- Lead, supervise and support a diverse team of young professionals
- Knowledge of newcomer issues and high school youth
- Recruit, train, supervise and support employees and volunteers
- Guide the training and evaluation of program for culturally diverse youth
- Develop pre-employment and life skills curricula
- Monitor program budget, generate reports and assist in the outcomes evaluation process
- Attend internal and external committees pertaining to line of work
- Deliver life skills, pre-employment, career development and leadership development workshops to youth when staff are unavailable
- Conduct outreach work with schools, businesses, youth groups and community organizations
- Promote YMAP and YMCA Calgary programs and services for youth
Build relationships with partnering schools, agencies and organizations
Commitment to Vision and Values: Demonstrates and promotes a personal understanding of and appreciation for the mission, vision and values of YMCA Calgary.
Service Attitude/Customer Focus: Identifies needs and wants of members/participants as priority and responds in an effective and timely manner to enhance every person's YMCA experience.
Leadership: Ability to develop and direct performance of others to achieve desired results.
Communication: Ability to speak, write, listen, and secure information in a variety of settings.
Self Management: Ability to direct personal performance to achieve desired results.
Teamwork: Ability to work effectively with others to achieve optimal collective results.
Flexibility/Managing Change: Ability to know your environment, initiate and respond effectively to changing conditions.
Values Diversity: Appreciates that people with different opinions, backgrounds and characteristics bring a richness to the challenge or situation at hand.
Commitment to Health and Safety: Acknowledges and understands how to manage and educate others of risk and harm reduction.
Information Technology: Appreciates the learning opportunity in sharing information and effectively utilizes available information technology.
- Post secondary education in Arts, Education, Social Work or Humanities field
- Special interest in working with high needs youth from a diverse cultural background
- Culturally sensitive
- Minimum 1 year of supervisory experience
- Experience in managing a program budget
- Experience in curriculum development as well as facilitation experience
- CPR/Standard First Aid
- Reliable vehicle
- Security Clearance and vulnerable sector search (completed at time of employment offer). Should an employment offer be made and you have a previous cleared security clearance including vulnerable sector search completed and dated within 12 months of the offer, we will accept a copy.
Please send a resume with cover letter quoting posting number CY-PROG-011 by December 26, 2012 to:
YMCA Calgary Association Services
101 3 St. S.W.
Calgary, AB T2P 4G6
Fax: (403) 269-4661
YMCA Calgary is an equal opportunity employer. We thank all applicants for their interest however only those selected for an interview will be contacted.